cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

All things API

Have a question about the Canvas APIs? Have a cool API integration you'd be willing to share? If so, please post here.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
271 Replies

Is there a way to remove an existing comment through API? I know in Canvas I can not edit a comment, but can delete one. 

garth
Community Champion

For those few of us out there working with .NET, I have published a starter project implementing the API in C#.

It is meant as just that, a starter project, that can be easily modified.

I have created a workflow service to automate many admin tasks and reports associated with our instance of Canvas, and this starter project is essentially the base.  Once you know how to make the calls using .NET, you can wrap the API calls in your business logic to meet your specific goals.

Hopefully this will be helpful.

@louizhu ​, I did some digging through the API and I am not aware of a way to delete submission comments. That isn't to say that it is not possible, just that if the way exists, I don't think it is documented. I would be happy if someone could provide information to the contrary.

Thank you very much, Kenneth. I'll keep trying. If I find something useful, I'll update here.

mark5

I am new to the Canvas API offerings and this may not even be the correct forum, but here goes.

I have a use case where I need to capture an event in the Canvas web UI (instructor adding person to course) and have that event trigger an API external to Canvas. The Canvas APIs are great for events inbound to Canvas but I have not found a solution that would allow me to trigger events outbound. An LTI enabled tool provider seems like a possible solution but that would require the instructor to alter their workflow.

Are there any options to capture web UI events and have them trigger an external REST API?

Thanks for your consideration...

louizhu

I need some help with grading group assignments. I am currently using the Submission API and the following request

POST /api/v1/courses/:course_id/assignments/:assignment_id/submissions/update_grades

to grade individual assignments and it has been working well. I was trying to use the same method to grade group assignments. For the parameters, I replaced the <student_id> with the <group_id> and I set "group_comment" to true. However, I have had no luck so far. I did not get any error, but grades and comments were not posted either. If you have any experience with grading group assignments, please share. Thank you.

BKINNEY
Community Contributor

Mark,

I don't know how much help this will be, but for what it's worth, you can trigger client-side actions based on user events by adding custom js to your Canvas account or sub-account. If your third party API requires authentication I don't know how much good it will do you, but you can take advantage of the fact that jQuery is already available in a Canvas page, so with just a minor js tweak, you can get a Canvas page to do pretty much anything a browser can do.

HTH

Becky,

The API does need some form of authentication/authorization. However, your suggestion to look at custom javascript is interesting. I will see where that leads me.

Thanks,

Mark

marc_mestre

Hello all,

Just sharing a bit of PHP code that can interact with the Canvas API without needing curl (if for whatever reason you don't have, or can't use the library).

The GET function includes logic that can deal with the Canvas API item return limit.

The POST function just requires a correctly formed array to post and you're good to go!

Make sure to set up a constant called TOKEN (this should be set to your current auth token). Or you could just edit the code and input it manually or with a variable/config file.

GitHub - MarcLightning/canvasUtils: A small set of scripts that interface with the Canvas REST API (...

maguire
Community Champion

There is an error in the documentation for https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/peer_reviews.html

Peer Reviews - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation

as there are two sections entitled "Create Peer Review"

The second of these is about deleting a peer review.

It is unclear how one can use the API to assign a peer reviewer.