Theme Editor (Admin) - Adjust Color for Icons Under RCE

Jump to solution
RachelSalmon
Community Participant

Hello,

We are editing our Theme in Canvas and noticed an issue with our color scheme and the features that are tied together in the theme editor. Our university's color scheme includes blue and yellow. We set our primary button color to be our specific shade of yellow with blue text on it. However, we found that the color of the icons under the RCE (keyboard shortcut, accessibility checker, word count, etc.) are tied to that primary button color. In our situation, this makes them yellow which is very inaccessible on a white background. Is there a way to make those icons a different color from the primary button color using custom coding or is that something that can be dissociated from each other?  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi @RachelSalmon,

The following css may help a bit:

.canvas-rce__skins--root.rce-wrapper span span button span span {
color:#000000;
}

Note: you can set the color to whatever you'd like, I just did black to ensure I could see that this worked.

I tried this is a few places (announcements, assignments, pages) and it did seem to work in all of those areas.  I would not expect it to work in New Quizzes though, since that's technically an external tool where normal Canvas CSS doesn't apply.  I'm also not 100% sure if there will be any other elements unexpectedly altered by this CSS or not.  Someone else in the Developers Group may have a better suggestion, so I'll move this thread over there.

Long-term, I think this needs to be an Instructure fix to theming though, as we should not have to resort to CSS (which can break with future Canvas updates) for what I feel is a core functionality need.  This is just my opinion...

Hope this helps a bit.

-Chris

View solution in original post

0 Likes