Add \overline to Math to Basic Math Equation Editor

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I am resubmitting part of an idea that was proposed last month by Glenn Johnson, Place x-bar and p-hat on the Equation Editor toolbar.

I teach introductory statistics and one of the most common symbols that we use is an x with a bar over it, the symbol for a sample mean.

Currently, this symbol can only be created in the advanced equation editor:

206393_Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 6.42.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-23 at 6.42.46 PM.png

This requires knowledge of LaTeX.  The vast majority of my students are not statistics majors so they have no experience with LaTeX and it's really extraneous to the course so I don't want to spend too much time teaching it to them.

It would be awesome if the \overline function was added to the basic equation editor which is easier for students to use.

43 Comments
VHDL2STA
Community Member

Thank you for having an icon for sample mean (x-bar) and sample proportion (p-hat) in the Canvas Basic Math Editor.

Does this mean the Canvas Math Editor enhancement project is now designated as complete?

But there is so much more that is needed. Refer to my initial Canvas Math Editor feature enhancement request.

In this modern world STEM students should not be required to write cryptic LaTex code. Pull-down menus and math expression/symbol icons should be used. Look at the totally user friendly Math Editor that is available in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. This Microsoft Math Editor capability is what STEM Canvas students and teachers want and need.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed