[Admin Tools] Leave Admin Account Items in Sidebar

So in my daily duties as Canvas admin I have to search for courses and users over and over again from different locations within Canvas. It would be quite convenient if the 'Find a Course,' 'Find a User,' 'Add a New Course,' 'Add a New User,' and 'View Analytics' items that appear in the sidebar when you select an account were visible to admins in the sidebar at all times. Included is an image of the items I'm referring to. At minimum the first two "Find a ..." should be included but I see no reason not to just leave all 5 items visible in sidebar for admins.

37651_Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 11.24.39 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-04-17 at 11.24.39 AM.png

30 Comments
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Author

I will be happy to oblige!

Robbie_Grant
Community Champion

Deactivated user​,

Count me in!

Robbie

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Count me in too, Cosme!

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Author

Hrm, I wonder what happened to my mock-up of how these items could fit in the Admin section in the global navigation of the New UI...Basically the idea was to move these items out of the side bar and into that admin section under the list of managed accounts.

bgibson
Community Champion

Yes, I like the idea of adding these items to the slide out Admin menu.  I am guessing that you would also need to leave them where they are so that you wouldn't have to keep clicking on the Admin link in the left navigation menu to get to them.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Author

Hey Deactivated user​

Any update on where we're at with this and if the idea to move it into the admin panel (not sidebar) in the New UI is getting any traction?

bgibson
Community Champion

canvas-left-navigaton-admin-slideout-modified.png

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Author

image.jpg?w=625&c=1

Do you actually have this working somehow or is that just a mock-up? Anyway, that's exactly what I was envisioning. The only modification to your image is that I want the workflow for filtering to be a one-step process rather than the two-step it is now. So you would set the term at the same time as entering the course name/code then click "Go" and it would respect both sets of information (term and course).

bgibson
Community Champion

Oh, heck no!  Only a mock up, but all that empty space cries to be filled... the items fit perfectly, and it saves time from dragging a mouse all the way across the page from left to right.  But then I also recognize that anytime you see a list of checkboxed items, there should be a "Select All" at the top & bottom.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I almost cried with JOY... and then realized it was only a mock up... :smileycry:

This would be amazing, much appreciated, and a HUGE time-saver!