Allow individual extension for a student in an assignment

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas  Learn more about voting...
  Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Individual students often need a few more days to complete an assignment (not a quiz) and currently there is no way to grant individuals extensions to the deadline without affecting the whole class.

We need to be able to select an individual in an assignment and give them an extension of n=X days before their submission gets marked as late.

Response from Instructure

Canvas Studio: Differentiated Assignments

54 Comments
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

With the new differentiated assignments, it doesn't matter if you use sections or not because each student shows up in the pull down list. Here's a quick video showing how the feature works - 06.01.2015-10.04.21 - KonaJones's library

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

Dear Kona

Thanks for  the screen capture - really useful and thanks for sharing.

I will test further later .. to see if having launched an assignment can then extend a user's deadline without affecting other users and without having to create a new assignment for just that user

Nicola

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yes, it appears that this functionality is part of the new feature. The specific assignment I was trying this out with already had a graded submission and it all worked just fine. Smiley Happy

afoote
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Nicola, Kona, and Renee,

Yes, the Doc Team is trying to improve the search functionality within the Guides. We do our best to think of how users will search for something but sometimes we just don't know. We will definitely take the 'individual assessment' tag into consideration.

Thanks!

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

I think assessment  and extension would be better tags

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

where are the guides for this new function - i cannot find them --using tags or phrases that are not working

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
vrs07nl
Community Contributor

thank you!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

You're welcome; my pleasure. Smiley Happy

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Just a general note for anyone reading later; Usually we do not publish documentation for new features until they move from Beta to Production.  We follow this practice so that we can learn from experimenting in beta ourselves and also learn from all of your discoveries, as brought to light in the beta release comments and elsewhere in the community.