Alt Text "Decorative Image" Option in Rich Content Editor

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Alt Text Decorative Images Option in Rich Content Editor - For accessibility, instructors/developers should be able to check a checkbox so that Canvas automatically adds the double quotation marks as the ALT TEXT for a "decorative image." This option would allow for images that are not essential to students using screen reading software.  This will help to make Canvas more compliant with UDL/accessibility requirements.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13886 .

11 Comments
aphelpscoco
Community Novice

I'm quite surprised that Canvas considers this a feature request and not a bug. Your own accessibility policy lists "Perceivable" content as the #1 feature on your accessibility template, saying "1.1.1 Non-text Content: All non-text content that is presented to the user has a text alternative that serves the equivalent purpose, except for the situations listed below. (Level A)." There is no exception listed for decorative images.

It is not reasonable to expect faculty members to switch into HTML mode in order to make a course site that is WCAG 2.0 compliant.

I know that Canvas has made a commitment to accessibility. If we want to help faculty create accessible course sites, it is crucial that we give them the tool they need to do it.

Thank you!

zanca
Community Novice

I think it would be of mutual benefit to Canvas and my University to work towards meeting accessibility needs as best as we can. 

michael_mcgarr1
Community Participant

Even if there's no option, it'd be great if a blank alt text field added an alt="" tag to an image by default as a means of improving the accessibility of pages.

kristi_oneilgon
Community Participant

It would also be imperative that once this functionality was added that it translated to ALLY and those with the tool weren't faulted for appropriately tagging decorative images.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-12-18) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-01-06) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@holly_smythe  Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @aphelpscoco  Thank You , zanca Thank You ,  @michael_mcgarry  Thank You ,  @kristi_oneilgon  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

If you're following this idea, you'll probably also want to check out the Rich Content Editor: Decorative Image Checkbox section of the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2018-01-15) 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New