[Announcements] View All Announcements on One Page

I would like to see some improvements to the "Announcements" tab. Specifically, it would be nice to be able to: 

•  view all announcements on one page with an option to expand all announcements

Use Case:

As a student, checking my unread announcements is an almost daily task. The system I currently have is this: 

Click on the "Announcements" tab >>> Click on the 1st unread announcement and read it >>> Click on the "Announcements" tab (again) >>> Click on the next unread announcement and read it... I have to repeat this process for however many unread announcements I have, per class. This is especially time consuming after a School Break and towards the end of a regular school week, because there are many announcements for each class that are posted.  I think it would be helpful to have a way of accessing multiple announcements without having to go through the process described above.  

My inspiration for this idea came from a discussion I recently participated in. I noticed that I had the ability to "Expand replies" and view all submissions on one page (snip below showing this feature). This would be a nice feature to include for accessing announcements, but I need the support from the Canvas Community to make this a possibility. 

"Expand replies" Feature Currently Available in Discussions:

345606_pastedImage_10.png

(I have also put together a possible "Announcements" tab layout to help others to visualize my suggestion. If you wish to take a look: it has been attached to this post.)

Thank you so much for your support Smiley Happy,

- Michael A. 

10 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@michael1439273 , we are seeing notifications indicating that you've modified this idea several times since it was opened for voting. Please know that our members will receive a notification that an idea description has been modified, but the notification does not specify what was modified. Would you please post in the comments section a list of the modifications you've made since the idea was opened for voting—and refrain from making future modifications to the active idea from this point forward? Thanks.

michael1439273
Community Participant

Here is the list of modifications I have made: 

Added: 

1. "(I have also put together a possible "Announcements" tab layout to help others to visualize my suggestion. If you wish to take a look: it has been attached to this post.)"

2. Attachment entitled "Possible Improvement to Announcements Tab.png" 

3. "...I need the support from the Canvas Community to make this a possibility."

4. "Smiley Happy"

Removed:

1. ",for example." 

I am sorry for any possible disturbances. I will not make any future modifications to this idea from this point forward. 

- Michael A. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks, Michael.

ctm121
Community Participant

This feature would also be helpful for instructors. The ability to either expand all or to select which announcements to expand would be even better.

ctm121
Community Participant

Being able to edit existing announcements from within the announcements page, instead of opening them in a new tab, would also be great!

cpgalt
Community Participant

I agree with this suggestion AND I would like to see a "Next" and "Previous" button at the bottom of an announcement we are editing/saving (like we have for pages and other items). So i could move more easily through my announcements and update/delete/change them.

NNWCU
Community Novice

Request to allow option for a course instructor to be able to see/read the content of all Announcements that have been posted on one screen, versus having to individually open each Announcement and move from screen to screen to review all Announcements.

JMMadden
Community Member

Instructor here. I completely agree that this is necessary.  But it is more than just VIEWING all the announcements on one page.  I want to be able to export/copy all of their content at once as a set into a single file-- a TEXT version of all my announcements.  This was easy to do in Blackboard.  I always exported all of last year's announcements into a file that I could use as starter-text/fodder for this year's announcements, and to remind me of what announcements I ended up wanting to make last year.  Every year is different.  Unfortunately, the announcements page as currently available in Canvas is just not readable or helpful as a resource.  Last year was my first year using Canvas LMS, so now I'm very disappointed to learn about this lack of functionality and its consequence for me this year: extra work!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme