Anonymous Discussion Forums

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea:

Instructors can create discussions that allow for posts to be made anonymously

Use Cases:

As an instructor, I want to create discussions in which participation is anonymous. This would free my students to share their thoughts without worrying about judgement / criticism by their peers or me. They'd take risks they might not otherwise.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Lynn McCarty
Thank you especially for contributions by: Rob Ditto, Allison Pyle, Renee Carney, Robert Jones

151 Comments
willmoin
Community Participant

There is a lot of interest in anonymous discussion board posting in our uni that has recently come over to Canvas and I can see it would be especially valuable to those courses which have discussion of sensitive nature to individuals. It's been penciled in in the 3rd phase of the Dicussion Board/Announcements redesign so given it has been such a long-term request it would be good to see some definite news on this. By implementing 3rd party tools to deliver on this instead (in absense of development) further dilutes the Canvas offering IMO

mlabbett
Community Participant

Our school would definitely benefit form an anonymous discussion feature.  Many of our Psychology courses have sensitive subjects in which students would benefit from either personal or professional experiences that are sensitive and they may not want to be identified.  Please look into adding this feature!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

dspiel
Community Participant

Late to the discussion.. but having a complete anonymous feature would be nice where even the admin or teacher can't see who posted it would be nice... yes for safety and legal purposes Canvas could find it if really needed, but many students and even teachers where the institution might be using it to get anonymous discussions about the campus would give much more comfort to those posting.

CoreyMcLaughlin
Community Participant

It's just a few months away from 2023, I'm thinking no one is working on this but it's a fantastic idea.

kjetil_monsen
Community Explorer

Hi Corey,

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas! Very anonymously as I discovered it by chance. Discussions Redesign must be enabled by your institution.

Regards Ketil

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New