[Assignments] Allow Students to do Excused Assignments

We have students who audit a course. We don't want them and the teacher to know they don't have to do the assignment, but if a student chooses to do it, they can. 

Excusing assignments shows the teacher that they don't have to be done, but the student can't do it if they want to.  

If the grade is left blank, it looks like they didn't do the assignment (and consequently get the penalty for missing the assignment).  

It would be awesome if students could do excused assignments. Then they could show as "Ex" so the teacher and yet students could do them if they wanted.

Added to Theme

6 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

SofiaSegurola
Community Member

Students should NOT be blocked from making a submission attempt when the assignment is excused regardless if they have already submitted. Just like it does with “Assignment Enhancement” disabled assignments ( blocked also) . NOTE: If they already submitted and the assignment is then excused they are blocked from  re-submitting.  

Even if the student is excused from an assignment, they need to be able to submit if they want to at a later time.  Currently they can NOT!  

Can we make this change? 

Gregory_Putman
Community Participant

Hi,

I up voted this but only if it is made an option.  I can see that there are situations in which students should be allowed to submit excused work.  I can also see that in my lab courses that would probably lead to confusion.  Excused really means excused because students will not be present for in-person group lab work.  They can't do group lab work outside of the lab and having a submission available despite being excused will cause students to feel they still need to submit work.  I had this problem many times in other LMS.  Making this a option would be great, though, because I have other courses that are not in-person labs and similar to the above comments apply to those courses.  Adding a checkbox in the settings would be great.

calwilson
Community Novice

This would be a great feature to have. I have used other LMS which allows me to have students submit assignments that have been excused. This is a great ability as students who want to push themselves, or who have had assignments excused due to personal, illness or other reasons, who are now at a point where they want/can complete these assignments.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme