[Assignments] Change Language on Apply Score to Ungraded Submissions

Request: Remove the reference to "artifacts" in the Apply Score to Ungraded dialog

Explanation:

I am excited about the ability to Apply Score to Ungraded Assignments. This will save me the hassle of having to use the Set Default Grade tool for multiple assignments in the same module. However, I find the language unclear in the Apply Score to Ungraded dialog:

Apply Score to Ungraded dialogApply Score to Ungraded dialog

The distinction between ungraded past due and all ungraded makes sense, but the word "artifacts" implies that these are students with submissions. I had to test in my .beta environment to make sure that this score also applied to those students who had not made submissions. In the "Apply to" section of the dialog, please make the language more clear:

Apply to:

○ Only ungraded users that are past due
○ All ungraded users

Thank you.

8 Comments
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good call out on "artifacts".  While I think a lot of instructors will understand what it means, the term really is not used anywhere else in Canvas that I know of offhand.  Adjusting this terminology to match other areas of Canvas would be great!

murphym
Community Explorer

Great suggestion! The language clarification will make it much easier to communicate to faculty what the feature does.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

GregoryStellar
Community Member

I think this is a great suggestion! I, as a drawing teacher, create step-by-step manuals here for young children, this will facilitate my work!

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks for sharing this idea, @ProfessorBeyrer. This language was actually changed from Submissions to Artifacts intentionally for a couple reasons:

1. It is consistent with the language that is used in the Gradebook History. 

2. When it first stated "submissions" we had users that were confused by all ungraded being scored and not only those that had an ungraded submission from students.  

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

Thanks for providing that context. I see that term is also used on the Canvas Guides document on ow to view items aligned within an outcome. It's not used on the documents that introduce the gradebook and describe how to manage columns in the gradebook. Those both use "assignments," which works better to me.

(Actually, if it were up to me it would be "assessments" and that would also apply to the page currently called "Assignments." Each time I teach how to use Canvas to share feedback with students I have to distinguish between the following uses of this term:

• "Assignments" that are used for online collection of student papers/videos/LTI submissions
  • "Assignments" that are used to give feedback for offline student work
  • "Assignments" that include all of the above plus quizzes and graded discussions.)
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme