[Assignments] Moderated grading of group reports

In our honours project course we run group projects and we require double-marking of final theses/reports for quality control.

Unfortunately, there is an inexplicable limitation in Canvas that you can have a group assignment, and you can have moderated grading, but you cannot have both.

These leads to the unfortunate situation currently where students need to submit their report twice (two identical assignments are created for this), and the assessment cannot be kept blind between the assessors.

I’ve been patiently waiting for a few years now for this limitation to be lifted. Please consider it for your roadmap.

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

a1063023
Community Explorer

It's been a few years (at least) for this nonsensical limitation to exist, and at least a couple since it was first raised here:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Allow-moderate-grading-option-for-a-group-assi... 

This is causing me real headaches in managing our honours project course (400+ engineering students).

(Moderated grading as a whole is a mess because you can't take an average of the grades to finalise a mark, and annotations from assessors are permanently deleted if you "finalise" the grades. But that's beside the point for this particular issue.)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

a1063023
Community Explorer

While waiting for this limitation to be addressed we have been asking one student from each group to submit while using moderated grading for the submission. I am receiving multiple emails per teaching period about this from students, with comments like:

"I submitted my honours group's final report a few minutes before the deadline today but the submission has not been confirmed on the assignment pages of my fellow group members.

I just wanted to highlight this issue since only one student was required to submit but it has not counted for all of us. I have attached relevant pictures of the submission, as well as the "missing" tag being shown to my group members at the bottom of this email."