[Assignments] Require pre-requisite assignment to be completed before unlocking next assignment

Problem statement:

Students are attempting mastery assignments without completing the background work first.

Proposed solution:

Require pre-requisite assignments to be completed and achieved at a minimum score before the next assignment can be unlocked. Canvas should be allowed to automatically unlock an assignment after the student has completed and scored above the minimum points allowed on the pre-requisite assignment. Student should not be allowed to skip assignments, and must complete them first before attempting the mastery assessments.

User role(s):

instructor

5 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

Hi @rossdan -

With Module requirements, you can set parameters as you described. You can require a score of a certain value before the next part becomes available to students. Would something like what is outlined in our guide allow you to organize the class activities as you designed?

How do I add requirements to a module? 

rossdan
Community Member
Author
I have explored both options, but neither do as I described. 

Adding a requirement, only checks off if a student completed it or not. It will not unlock the next assignment if they do. 
Adding a prerequisite, only prohibits access to the entire module and it does not require a certain score. 

What I want is all included in the same module. I want my kids to be required to score a 15/15 on the pre-quiz before the post quiz is unlocked; while both the pre quiz and post quiz are in the same module. 
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @rossdan -

In the settings for the module requirements, you can establish that "Students must move through requirements in sequential order" as you outlined in the module. In the module, you'll need to include all required items (but not necessarily all items in the module), and if there's an item that includes a score, you can select "score at least" from the options and manually add the score you consider as mastery level. This would prevent them from skipping ahead in the module.

Alternatively, Mastery Paths could be a solution. You could use this feature to unlock different learning experiences for students based on their performance. If students score a certain value, they can be assigned the final assessment. If they do not, they can be assigned practice or other activities before they can progress and take the final assessment.

How do I use Mastery Paths in course modules? 

rossdan
Community Member
Author

Ok I think that worked! 

I will try it this week, and see how it works. 

Thank you so much! 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Will Not Consider

Thanks for submitting this idea. Because Mastery Paths were able to match the requested functionality, we're moving this idea to the Will Not Consider status.