[Assignments] delete batches of assignments

We need to be able to select a batch of items to delete, duplicate, move,  publish or whatever in one action.  Like cleaning out our email inbox.

Added to Theme

9 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@zwxq 

Thanks for sharing this idea. As it moves forward for broader discussion, one near-term solution is to  drag the unwanted assignments into an assignment group; deleting the assignment group deletes all of the assignments within that group.

zwxq
Community Explorer

This is not the solution to this problem.  I figured this out on my own.

If you are not interested in suggestions, we offer--because this program is a giant time suck--let me know.  I'll stop making suggestions.

This is 2020.  Advanced efficiency standards using Internet platforms have been in place for years. The user experience for Canvas feels more like 2000.  There is no excuse for expecting time strapped teachers to adjust to antiquated technology when better is the norm.

Right now, my district is making me use Canvas during Covid-19.  I have no intention of continuing after that if a number of improvements are not made.

austineide
Community Member

Your proposed workaround doesn't save that much time. For example, you'd still have to drag each assignment individually into an assignment group and then delete it. At this point you might as well delete each one on its own.

One way to solve this workflow issue is to provide a checkbox or some type of UI to select multiple items and enable bulk processing on the selection.

RachaelThompson
Community Member

On the assignments tab, it is great that we can change multiple due dates, etc. at one time. It would also be nice to be able to select certain assignments and delete them at the same time (especially in the case of imported materials that we need to wade through). Thanks!

SamanthaPavelka
Community Novice

We need to be able to do a mass deletion of assignments. Like a checkbox (think of e-mail). The workaround still takes too long to drag each one individually.

nathanatkinson
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

PallaviJalakam
Community Contributor

Deleting multiple unwanted assignments (wrongly copied from one course to another or created by mistake) at a time will save a lot of time. Many a time, I have only one Assignment Group (default), which makes it time-consuming to delete multiple assignments as we must have at least one Assignment Group, and the default one can't be deleted.

The workaround of creating another Assignment Group, moving all not required assignments to that group, and deleting the group is too many clicks and steps and not a quick solution for something that can be achieved easily and quickly.

Perhaps, having a check box in the UI (similar to the Announcements tool) to select multiple Assignments can make bulk deletion easy and in fewer clicks.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme