Batch Group Management

Currently Canvas only allow manual Group creation and member assignment. This idea is about to provide Teacher ability to create course Groups, assign group members via batch .csv upload, so course Groups and group membership can be managed in a more efficient way. It will save lots of time for large courses with hundreds of students enrolled.  group‌group-creation

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-10-21) - Canvas Community .

50 Comments
lisa_li1
Community Member
Author

This is great, thanks Jayde for the follow-up! 

emma_yench
Community Novice

being able to assign students to more than one group would also be useful...

RobDitto
Community Champion
ewh10
Community Member

This is crucial. With classes of 1500 students there is absolutely no way that I am going to manually drag the students into their groups.  Which means that all group related activities are currently impossible.

keith_toh
Community Novice

Yes, much needed. 

dstolz
Community Explorer

I would specifically like the ability to create groups from sections, including the possibility of making a single group from multiple sections. As students add, drop or change sections, their group memberships would change to reflect the section they are actually registered in.

jennifer_yang
Community Novice

Please make this a capability. Out cohorts are 75+ and we have to manually put them into the same groups for 3 classes each quarter. This would make it so much easier to create the groups and allow for group assignment submissions.

peter_corneliss
Community Novice

No idea why this hasn't been implemented in the first place. Should be a basic functionality. 

ewh10
Community Member

My feeling is that much of what is done in LM systems concentrates on small classes. In every system we've used as soon as we put over 1000 students in a class much of the basic functionality just breaks. So the things that would obviously be needed for managing a large course just don't exist. 

But beyond that, the need to manually input everything is a pain. Have bi-weekly assignments?  So much easier to upload the 30 of them for the semester from a CSV but instead everything needs to be done one at a time.  Or you learn to use the API...

tpavlic
Community Participant

And yet BlackBoard has this feature. Although I agree that most LMS seem to be designed with classrooms of about 5 students in mind, there ARE LMS that have managed to facilitate scale deployment. Canvas is NOT one of them.