[Canvas Mobile - Student] Accept HEIC file type as image submission, to preview in Speedgrader

Problem statement:

This need has been addressed multiple times before, with a lot of support all over the world from Canvas users. Other LMSes already integrated HEIC previewer: it should be possible to accept a file type as widely used as HEIC. I know of the patent issue but there should be workarounds for this. This current 'proposed solution' by the Canvas team (https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Ability-to-View-HEIC-files-in-SpeedGrader-Prev...) causes a lot of extra work for all iPhone and iPad users, which is a large part of all users. All ideas and topics have been archived but the need for a solution is still present.

Proposed solution:

Proposed solution: Build in a HEIC to JPG converter so that all HEIC files are automatically converted into jpg so they can be previewed.

User role(s):

instructor,student,ta

3 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Seeking Clarity

Hi @NaomieAmsing -

You mention iPads and iPhones in your post. Are students interacting with course content via Safari or Chrome? I'm asking because the Canvas Student app has the ability to convert HEIC files to JPG files. This happens automatically so it's simple for the learners and graders in the course.

How do I upload a file as an assignment submission in the Student app on my iOS device? 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi! I hope you are doing well. If you are unable to provide an update regarding this idea by October 30, we will need to archive it to help the Community Team focus on current Ideas. If you need more time, that's okay too! Providing an update before that time would be helpful and appreciated. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Will Not Consider