We would like the ability for root Canvas Catalog Administrators and Subcatalog Administrators to manually enroll students from the Canvas Catalog waitlist into Canvas Catalog courses.
A department from our business school opted to choose the waitlist to assess demand for their Canvas Catalog course.
During the enrollment process:
- The student cap for the course quickly increased and they saw extremely high demand and a long waitlist. After the enrollment cap was increased multiple times those students who were on the waitlist were not automatically enrolled when open slots became available.
- At one point the enrollments were showing 3/45 slots open in their Canvas Catalog course, even though 12 individuals remained on the waitlist. Since the Subcatalog Administrators could not manually enroll those who were on the waitlist, those spots were held and many individuals lost their positions, despite the available seats.
- This issue caused a major issue since, without the ability for Subcatalog Administrators to add individuals from the waitlist manually, the entire process was messy, confusing, and created many challenges for the administrators as they mitigated inquiries during the enrollment process.
- For the record, students were never removed from the course using Canvas; those who did drop from the course, dropped correctly using the Canvas Catalog student dashboard.
The end result of the enrollment process was that this issue caused concern for offering future courses since the waitlist tool does not work as expected.
In closing, we would like the following feature(s) added to Canvas Catalog:
- The ability for Root Canvas Catalog Administrators to manually enroll students from the Canvas Catalog waitlist into Canvas Catalog courses.
- The ability for Subcatalog Administrators to manually enroll students from the Canvas Catalog waitlist into Canvas Catalog courses.
Added to Theme
Improved flexibility in Catalog listing management and reporting Theme Status: Identified