[Course Settings] Allow 'Show Students ONLY the Mastery Gradebook' option (for individual courses)

We would like to implement standards-based grading for all of our honors courses at our grades 6-12 institution. Yet there are two big features missing from the Learning Mastery Gradebook that currently make it unsuitable, in our very well-deliberated opinion, as the tool to so so. One of those missing features is the option to completely hide (maybe even disable?) the regular, percentage-based gradebook from the view of students. Not only is it double-work for teachers, keeping up with point totals, percents and then separately translating that into a 1-4 scale (for example), but its confusing (and ultimately defeats the purpose of the powerful language of SBG) to have students first see a % when they 'View Grades,' and then have to navigate into the LMG for the other story. Johnny might feel great seeing that he has an 81% -- and in non-standards-based grading, he should -- but an 81% could mean that he's meeting or exceeding on three of the class's mastery standards but below mastery in the fourth

The only implementations of SBG that I've ever seen, and I imagine the way most schools want to do it -- would be to let Johnny know with crystal clarity that while he's doing great in three areas of what the class requires, he really needs to improve in the fourth -- lest he end up failing the course. In case it helps, here is an example of how SBG might be set up, in an honors biology course... you might have four mastery standards: Communicating experimental results as a scientist; Understanding current scientific theories and their context to one another; Recognizing and utilizing biological sciences vocabulary (reading and writing); and Using collaboration, together with other tools, to continually revise and improve work.

Please help pre-collegiate educators shift the language in which we train our students to think about their academic efforts!

Added to Theme

7 Comments
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Great idea to make assessment in Canvas more equitable. At the Online Teaching Conference there's a session going on right now where this option was requested:

Is Your Test Anti-Racist? Equity and Assessment in Online Learning 

wlopez
Community Explorer

We need to post & share this idea everywhere!

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Done! I just shared it with the CCC Canvas Home Base‌. Imagine how powerful it would be if everyone who uses Canvas in the CCC system voted for this idea.

gramos
Community Participant

It's not just for K-12! I use mastery grading in my courses at a community college & I know a lot of other instructors who also use mastery grading who would like this option.

edited to add: Actually, for my purposes, I'm fine with how mastery is displayed in the student view (Grades ->Learning Mastery tab); but I also need the option to display some scores (pts or %).  I have some assignments via LTI (online problem practice sets, edpuzzle videos, etc) that have a score. In the student grades, I would just like the ability to hide the "total", assignment group averages, and other values that have no meaning for my students or cause confusion. 

cindyk
Community Participant

I, too, see a need for students to see the details of which standards they have mastered.

I'm having an additional issue with the Learning Mastery Grodebook from the teacher end.  I still see outcome results from students who have dropped the course.  They no longer appear in my regular gradebook or in People but they persist in the Mastery Gradebook.  Please fix this as it skews the course data analytics.  Before asking, I am NOT including inactive, concluded or unassessed students but they are all appearing.  When I add the check, nothing changes.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme