[Course Settings] Bulk edit student settings when cross-listing sections

Problem statement:

When combining sections into a Parent course shell using cross-list section, students are compiled into one course shell, but you have to manually click through each student's profile in order to enable that the student can only interact with students in their section. When there is over 100 students migrated into a shell, it is very time-consuming to change this setting.

Proposed solution:

When cross-listing a section, having an option to enable that students will only be able to interact with their section. Or having a setting in the Sections tab of Settings that will flip student profiles to only allow students to interact within their sections.

User role(s):

admin,instructor

Added to Theme

7 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @bengalspice -

Thanks for sharing your idea! I found Restrict Students in Crosslisted Sections to Only View Own Section By Default, and I'm wondering if that would allow you to accomplish what you'd like. If so, we can merge the threads. If not, I see how yours is slightly different.

Please respond by September 21 so we can provide your idea with the attention it deserves. Thanks!

bengalspice
Community Explorer

@KristinL I can see how that thread would also provide a solution, but I think for the universities that I am working with, the best solution would be to have something case by case since cross-listing is used differently from course to course. Having a global setting would make case-by-case situations difficult to manage. Right now, we are creating groups to try to silo students, which gets really messy if an assignment/discussion setting gets missed. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

ilovell
Community Contributor

Not sure what level of admin you have. We added a LIMIT_SECTION_PRIVILEGES column set to TRUE in enrollments.csv for all people in the SIS import. 

bengalspice
Community Explorer

@ilovell I, unfortunately, don't manage the csv file for enrollment. We are manually enrolling students in sections in one parent course shell, but cross-listing would have solved our issue if we didn't have to manually change the permissions on a 100+ students. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme