[Course Settings] The name of the course changes depending on the user's navigation language

Hi Canvas Community!

We'd like to share this request for improvement with you. If you have the same need, please feel free to comment. We'd love to hear your thoughts.

The name of the course changes depending on the user's navigation language

Need

Allow the course title to be entered in different languages in order for the student to view the course title in the language set when the same course is taught in different languages.

If a student has Catalan as their language and the course is taught in both Catalan and Spanish, the student should view the title in Catalan.

For example:

Curs proves recuperació (Catalan)

Tama_0-1651221124768.png

Curso pruebas recuperación (Spain Spanish)

Tama_1-1651221158178.png

Why

Institutions can have courses in different languages without the need to create another course, allowing users to see the course name correctly in their language.

Advantages

If the name of the course is displayed in the language to be taken, it is clearer to the user, otherwise it may be confusing.

Hola comunidad Canvas!

Nos gustaría compartir esta idea o solicitud de mejora con todos. Si tiene la misma necesidad, no dude en comentar. Nos encantaría escuchar que piensan.

Nombre del curso cambia en función del idioma de navegación del usuario

Necesidad

Permitir que el título del curso se pueda ingresar en diferentes idiomas con el objetivo de que el estudiante vea el título del curso en el idioma configurado  cuando el mismo curso es impartido en diferentes idiomas.

Si un estudiante tiene configurado catalán como su idioma y el curso se imparte tanto en catalán como en español, el estudiante debería ver el título en catalán.

Por ejemplo:

Curs proves recuperació (Català)

Tama_2-1651221464754.png

Curso pruebas recuperación (Español España)

Tama_3-1651221489957.png

¿Por qué?

Las instituciones pueden tener cursos en diferentes idiomas sin necesidad de crear otro curso permitiendo que los usuarios vean el nombre del curso correctamente en su idioma.

Ventajas

Si se ve el nombre del curso en el idioma que se va a cursar, al usuario le queda más claro, lo contrario puede causar confusiones.

¡Muchas gracias!

Added to Theme

4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

James
Community Champion

@Tama 

This is an interesting idea. I don't think I've seen anything like it before. It's a nicely written proposal and I understand what you're trying to do and why.

My question is whether allowing multiple versions of the title is necessary. Users can already go to their dashboard and set a nickname for the course and then that nickname will appear for the user. The students who want Catalan could use a Catalan title while the other could use the Spanish name. That's something that the user would have to do (unless you wrote some API calls to get the user's language setting and then changed the name of the course for them -- I don't recommend doing that unless you do it before you publish the course and allow students to access the content).

I'm not sure how beneficial it is, either, to just change the title. The content in the course is still the same regardless of the language chosen by the user. Changing the language only changes the navigation links. If you want them to have different content throughout the course, then you would need to have a Catalan course and a Spanish course. If you did that, then they could have different titles.

I haven't seen the course, so that last paragraph may not apply. Is all of your content provided in both languages on each page and each quiz question? If so, then perhaps all that needs changed is the title. Students can still use the course nickname feature. If they do, then it won't matter what you called the course.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme