[Courses] Make the course list sortable

When you click on Courses and then All Course, Canvas lists them in some random order. As my number of courses builds up over the semesters, with many courses of the same name, I would like to be able to SORT my list of courses by Name, Semester, Recently used, etc.

So... please let us sort these courses so that we can easily find what we are looking for!

121 Comments
dtomblin
Community Novice

I agree, too. Would be nice to have. Not sure why it doesn't already exist.

saltman
Community Participant

@kona ‌ do you know if there is already a hack to do this?  I would really love this feature and it seems like some of the Canvancements that I have already seen.

kona
Community Champion

@saltman , unfortunately I don't. I tend to do a Ctrl-F (control find) and search for the class. 

Sorry! Kona

saltman
Community Participant

Thanks for getting back to me.  I do that too, when I remember what the course is called!  But I would really like to be able to sort by the current term or by my role in the class.

Fursty
Community Participant

Migrating from Blackboard- I am just shocked at the lack of basic organizational items there are for faculty -- this is another example.   Those of us who teach many courses pay the price for the lack of what is really remedial organizational sorting and displaying features.  It almost feels that Canvas designed this for students... and then said... oh yea..we have to have faculty use  this too...  

adrienne_and_sm
Community Novice

As I initially commented on this ridiculous filing system after working with it for a little while — nothing has changed. Nothing has improved since I began as a student (former teacher expanding my horizons) in Spring of 2015!!

Yes folks, FOUR YEARS of their ignoring our logical suggestions.

That is called disrespect.

I will be graduating at the end of the quarter & hope that I will never have to deal with Canvas again.

God bless you all & preserver!

adrienne_and_sm
Community Novice

You are right. I researched the history. They are probably on Wikipedia too, which a little of information.

But, it is also horrible from the students’ side.

When trying to find something from a previous class, they are not even by Quarter or title just by number.

THIS IS SO SIMPLE TO CORRECT! 

How in the world they cannot have it sort like a business file in WORD or EXCEL in amazing.

My Girl Scout Cookie Sale Site Chart from 10 years ago is more efficient!

Fursty
Community Participant

I tried to check your original case from 2016 about this issue.... and its in "Cold Storage" ....  obviously it was ignored..? 

jmc6
Community Novice

Yes, they ignore everything.

John M. Cimbala

Professor of Mechanical Engineering

Penn State University

Sent from my iPad

jmc6
Community Novice

I suggested this several years ago. The nice folks at canvas completely ignored me.

John M. Cimbala

Professor of Mechanical Engineering

Penn State University

Sent from my iPad