Custom Menu Items for New UI

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I have had discussions with a number of institutions looking for a way to add custom items to the left hand navigation in the new UI.

Adding custom menu items

Additional Navigation Menu Item

Re: Has anyone been working on scripts for the new Beta UI? 

Like these schools, we have some items we have customized for our faculty and students that we would like to bring over to the new UI.

137362_Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 10.36.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-03 at 10.36.47 AM.png

I have created some JavaScript code to add an individual item, but it would be great if there was a way to add an item that had a slide out list like the other navigation items in Canvas

137363_Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 10.41.38 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-03 at 10.41.38 AM.png

The icing on the cake would also be the ability for the navigation to be targeted to a user's roles (additional resources for teachers verses resources for students) and if there was a way to choose an icon.

I understand that there is limited space in the left navigation for smaller screen sizes, but this would be a wonderful addition to the existing customization options in the new UI.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27)

114 Comments
syeo
Community Novice

@kenneth_larsen  Nice Work . That is a good idea! We are applying the customized links in the Help area as a workaround. Hence, the users can locate the links.

tfullwood
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks  @kenneth_larsen ‌. Hey Everyone,

I initially put this together as a hacky workaround before the core functionality to add custom links to the help menu was available. Since this was put together there have been some minor changes to the view that have caused some small issues. But this particular update looks like it's a lot more significant. I know it's not the best news but I haven't had any luck with it yet.

Based on how much has changed already, I'd guess these components will continue to update (and break this script) in the future. With how much things have changed and where this script is at now you may want to look into moving links over to the customizable help menu. If you're interested you can find the documentation here (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12664-4214610054).

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed