The Help Menu assists users in your institution by displaying a list of resources about Canvas. Depending on a user's role, users can view up to five default help options. As an admin, you can reorder or hide default links in the Help Menu. You can also add custom help links for your institution and choose if they should be available to all users or specific user roles.
You can also change the Help icon and text that displays throughout Canvas.
This lesson shows how to access the Help Menu Options directly from the Global Navigation Menu. However, you can also access the Help Menu options in Account Settings.
- Canvas Help Menu customizations are only available at the account level and automatically apply to all subaccounts. When opening the Help Menu, only admins can view the customization link.
- Help Menu customizations are not available in Free-for-Teacher accounts.
- The Help Menu links also display when a user accesses the Help link in the Login page. However, the Ask Your Instructor a Question and Ask the Community links are never part of the Help Menu in the Login page since the Login page does not associate a user by role.
Customize Help Menu
In Global Navigation, click the Help Menu link , then click the Customize this menu link .
By default, the Canvas Help Menu text displays as Help. To change the text, enter the new name in the text field.
The name of the Help Menu displays in the Global Navigation Menu, the footer of the login page, and the top menu bar in SpeedGrader. The name should be no more than 30 characters.
By default, the Help navigation icon displays as a question mark. To change the navigation icon, select another icon from the included icon set. The selected icon displays a square border.
The navigation icon currently only displays in the Global Navigation Menu. To best assist your account users, the navigation icon should compliment the name of the Help Menu.
Customize Help Menu Links
You can allow your users to view up to five default Help Menu links according to their role:
- Ask your Instructor a Question (Students Only) : Students can quickly send their instructor(s) questions about their courses; messages are copied to the Conversations Sent folder and moved to the Inbox when a reply is received
- Search the Canvas Guides : Users can search the Canvas Guides for information about features inside of Canvas
- Report a Problem : Users can submit problems with Canvas; tickets are either sent to Canvas or your own support team, depending on your institution's preference to manage support tickets
- Ask the Community (Non-Students Only) : Users can exchange ideas and solutions regarding Canvas functionality with Canvas experts and their Canvas peers
- Submit a Feature Idea : Users can submit ideas about how to make Canvas better
Manage Default Links
To move a default link up or down in the menu, click the up or down arrow . To delete a default link, click the Delete icon . To edit a default link, click the Edit icon .
Note: The Help Menu links also display when a user accesses the Help Menu from the Login page. However, even when enabled, Ask Your Instructor a Question and Ask the Community links are never part of the Help Menu in the Login page since the Login page does not associate a user by role.
Edit Default Links
To edit the name of a default link, use the Link name field . To edit the description of a default link, use the Link description field . To select which users can view a default link, use the Available to checkboxes . Options include Everyone, Students, Teachers, Admins, Observers, and Unenrolled. Unless otherwise changed, custom links select checkboxes for all roles.
Note: The Link URL cannot be changed for default links.
Add Custom Link
If you'd like to add a custom link to the Help Menu, click the Add Link button , then click the Add Custom Link option .
In the Link name field , enter the link name.
In the Link description field , enter a description for the link.
In the Link URL field , enter the URL for the link. This field is required.
The link URL field also supports the telephone URL and mailto schemes.
- To create a click-to-call link in the Help Menu, enter tel:+ followed by the internal format of the phone number (country code, area code, and number) in this field. Additionally, users can use the telephone link to call the number through their computers. When a user clicks the link, the user receives a confirmation alert before the call is placed. (Users may be able to access telephone links when viewing Canvas in a mobile browser, although mobile browsers are not officially supported by Canvas.)
- To create a mailto scheme in the Help Menu, enter mailto: followed by the email address. When a user clicks the link, the user's browser opens the email service configured in the user's browser and creates an email to the designated email address. If no browser configuration is set, the browser will try to pass the email link to a desktop email program.
For the Available to checkboxes , select the user(s) who can view the link. Options include Everyone, Students, Teachers, Admins, Observers, and Unenrolled. Unless otherwise changed, custom links select checkboxes for all roles.
Click the Add Link button .