Customize Canvas Catalog Enrollment and Certificate of Completion Emails

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Catalog Release Notes (2021-06-30)

We would like the ability to customize Canvas Catalog enrollment and certificate of completion emails. Currently, you can only customize the header and footer of these emails. We would like the ability to customize the body and have the ability to use a rich text editor to make it easier to customize these emails. Currently, the only option is HTML. Please see below for example content and the current layout for customizing these emails.

Hi [name].,

You have earned a new certificate for completing:

International Student Online Orientation Spring 2021.

The completion of this course is required of all international students. Your next step is to input this code XXX. By completing the Orientation Form, you will gain access to the next step in your ISSS check-in process.  

If you have any questions, please contact an ISSS Advisor

Keep learning,

University of Maryland Open Learning

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 10.25.34 AM.png

35 Comments
jsowalsk
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

Thanks, @zsgoreczky. In the future, if you could do a new post about this and link it to a feature request it would be easier to find since I was emailed about this since I was not subscribed to this post. Thanks!

jsowalsk
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

@zsgoreczky Any update on this?

zsgoreczky
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi @jsowalsk This is our next project with the Catalog team. Our goal is to have it released by the end of Q2. 

jsowalsk
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

@zsgoreczky, thanks for the update. Will this information come out in release notes? So, you mean this will be out around the end of June?

zsgoreczky
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jsowalsk Yes, we include all customer facing changes in the release notes. Our goal is to have email customization out by the end of June (or even earlier). 

jsowalsk
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

@zsgoreczky, great thank you! Please keep us posted with any updates.

leward
Community Contributor

We would like to be able to customize the message text for course and program enrollment and certificate notifications at the catalog and listing levels (if the listing doesn't have a custom message, the system would default to the messages in the parent or closest ancestor catalog) Ideally, messages should allow for the inclusion of replaceable parameters for user and course or program attributes such as:

• User info
    • firstname
    • lastname
  • Listing info
    • Listing name
    • parent catalog
    • Days to complete
    • Start date
    • End date
    • Fee assessed
    • Requirements
jsowalsk
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

@zsgoreczky do you have any updates on this?

zsgoreczky
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi @jsowalsk We are currently working on email customization. We are aiming for releasing it in Q2. I will send an update once it's available in Beta. 

jsowalsk
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

Great, thank you @zsgoreczky. Let me know if you would like me to take a look before launching in beta.