[Dashboard] Allow Grades on Dashboard to be configured to be based only on submitted assignments/quizzes

Problem statement:

My use case is that we have a program w/ multiple courses… over 20 and our students see them in a card view dashboard. It is a rolling enrollment, so there aren’t specific dates things are due. There are multiple courses w/ assignments that require us to grade before a student can complete the course so they may be in the position of jumping between a couple of courses. They are regularly confused about what they have left to do because when they look at the grades on the dashboard it is based on submitted quizzes and assignments, not all. For example, as a student, I might go to the dashboard and see that my score for a course is 100%. I have no idea if the course is actually done or there are missing assignments. It is only if I click on the course in the grades list that they I then see if assignments are missing.

Proposed solution:

Add a global administrative option to control whether grade summaries on the dashboard are based on only assignments completed (the default now) or on all assignments. Why: I had two students quit this week out of frustration of not knowing where they are at. I receive complaints and questions weekly. Many of our students have disabilities, including anxiety or ADHD and not knowing where they are at causes a lot of frustration and stress. Our instructors spend a great amount of time looking through in student view to help students determine where they are at when this simple fix would allow the students to answer their own question.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,student

Added to Theme

1 Comment
AllisonHowell
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Added to Theme

This idea has been added to the Expand support for student-driven learning in Canvas theme for further consideration, given the student experience you're describing.