[Direct Share] Copying Assignments to Multiple Classes

There needs to be a way to copy assignments to multiple courses instead of one at a time. It is time-consuming for teachers. Going to Commons is time-consuming as well. We should be able to create an assignment in a course and then move to all the others. 

Comments from Instructure

This is a companion idea to Select Multiple Classes to Copy Assignments  . 

Added to Theme

33 Comments
shimpj
Community Member

Yes!! This would be such a time saver!! Right now it feels like most of my time planning is sucked up just copying everything to each course! I have six courses and sometimes all of them are doing the same thing!!

I also STRONGLY agree with having the assignments retain their category/group when copying them so they don't end up as "Imported" every time. Again, with six different classes, it is easy to forget to go in after copying the assignment and move each to the correct group so they will actually sync to our district gradebook!!

danza
Community Member

Completely agree with this suggestion. 

There should be a way when adding an assignment/file/announcement/etc to select other courses at the same time so you only have to use one click.  

Gillespie1
Community Member

Any update on this suggestion?

JeffCampbell
Community Contributor

Sharing this with some coworkers. I see a previous comment appears to be removed.

I feel like Arrow A in the image below should be a checkbox.

The only issue I could foresee with this the optional ability to select a module for the item. If the courses do not have all the same modules, this could hinder that aspect of copying an item. Usually, when I am copying an item, the courses I am copying too are nearly identical so this is not an issue (usually due dates are the biggest differences). It would be ideal if it worked exactly as it does now, but with the ability to select multiple courses. If I still have to go to the other courses to add the copied item to a module, it does not improve the overall workflow compared to the existing method.

Copy To Improvements.PNG

RWest3
Community Novice

This feature would be so helpful as I work with 7th and 8th graders in the same hour. So, I have double the classrooms that regular education teachers experience.

Kmwever
Community Novice

I am a music teacher and I have three canvas courses. I used to be able to copy assignment to and select the whole course and now I get all 12 sections instead of the group! It would be wonderful if the copy feature was brought back the way it used to be. 

thomas_walker1
Community Explorer

The Blueprint option is interesting, but I am looking to copy announcements that are pertinent to all of my different classes from one to the rest of them and setting up a Blueprint just wouldn't work for that. A selectable multi-copy option would create a HUGE benefit for announcements, assessments, assignments, and even discussions!

And I would readily give up the ability to automatically add it to a module. IMHO, adding an existing page to a module is easier and less time consuming than copying it course by course because I'm not always sure exactly which module it goes in and announcements don't really go into modules anyway.

Two thumbs up on this request!

JoelShapiro
Community Novice

For teachers with many preps (I have 6), it would be extremely helpful to have a checkbox next to the "Copy to" feature, so that you could copy a page, resource, etc. to 2, 3, 4, or 5 classes instead of copying to one at a time. Thank you!

eshoemaker
Community Explorer

This is a feature that is BADLY needed for K-12 Canvas teachers. I teach 5 different sections, but there is a lot of overlap. Freaking *School Loop* which sucked in a lot of ways still got this right. I could assign the same thing to any number of my sections and edit it ONCE for all of the sections without having to copy every single time. I teach 180 school days. I create things as I go. I need this to be streamlined ASAP. 

lawtonk
Community Member

When working in my course sandbox I create assignments and modules that I want to copy to multiple courses (My team sandbox for astronomy is where i build content for my campus and I teach 5 sections of astronomy that i do not want cross-linked). When I go to copy a quiz, assignment, or whole module, I am only allowed to copy it one at a time. I would like the option when "copy to" to select multiple courses and push them all at the same time instead of having to close and reopen that window 5 times.