Disable video game after users find the Whoops....Looks like nothing is here!

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

\My Role: District Root level Admin

Issue/Request: Reported by campus teacher

If possible, please block the ability for users to access the video game after being presented with the Whoops....Looks like nothing is here! Page Not Found error.

When students or staff are presented with this error, they are able to click on the planet/rocket/spaceman image, then press the space bar and a video game will appear. There are different games that appear depending on the exact URL. This can potentially be very disrupting for class time when multiple students figure this out.

Short silent screencast example

Please block this game from appearing. Thank you for your consideration.

10 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

timothy_maw
Community Champion

Wow, I had no idea this was even a thing. I see your point of it being a distraction. I also wonder if there are other hidden features in Canvas.

eric_thomas
Community Explorer

I also had no idea this existed!

snmargeson
Community Explorer

Our students have found this as well. I was hoping there would be a way to disable it. Sounds like there isn't yet.

kcg
Community Explorer

Please allow a way to block this.  I had many students pretending to do their work and doing this instead.  I closed their tabs, but I can't block Canvas. 

JohnMairsDPI
Community Member

Just played with this in my beta instance of Canvas. Adding the following to your theme's custom CSS will hide the "not found" game, at least as it exists currently:

.not_found_page_game_root {
    visibility: hidden;
}

​That effectively hides the entire portion of the "not found" error page that contains the game. Users will still see the space graphic, but clicking it and pressing the spacebar will just make the graphic disappear. The game will not appear.
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: On Beta
  Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2022-10-26) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2022-10-26)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed