[Discussions] See all of a student's posts together

In order to assess and grade a student on participation in the discussion boards, it would be helpful to be able to see all of that student's posts aggregated on a single page.

• Of course the replies will be out of context, but that would still be helpful, especially if there were a "see in context" button on each response by the student.
  • It would be helpful if each post came with the basic metadata, including the subject of the thread in which it was embedded if it's a response
  • As an option, perhaps one could filter these to see only the top level posts by any particular student. 
60 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

I agree that "if each students' contributions to a course (and, ideally, across courses) were accessible via their profile page" could be a major improvement but it would need to be highly configurable so that a given institution could control how much students share about themselves outside of the context of an individual course - much more of an issue for some than for others.

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

This could also be helpful when looking for a particular post made by a student without having to go into each discussion to search for it.

solomon_klein
Community Explorer

Yes - sharing a student's work in course A with people in course B could be a big problem privacy-wise.

david8
Community Novice

That's a good point, but the initial idea is that the teacher could see all

of a student's posts within any one course.

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 9:46 AM solomon.klein@utoronto.ca <

solomon_klein
Community Explorer

Right - that's what I was initially looking for too.

polzonet
Community Novice

In order to get a sense of and grade students' participation it would be very helpful to see 'discussions' in the analytics. That way we can get an immediate idea of each student's participation. This is essential in classes that allow limited in-class participation. 

aaron_adams
Community Novice

Hello! How many votes are needed to get this recognized by Canvas developers and to become a feature. I really can't see why this isn't something that is already up and running . . .

jvoros
Community Novice

I too am wanting to use something with the functionality of Blackboard's Performance Dashboard to check students' contributions to discussions in Canvas, as these account for 15% of the course mark. Each week they need to create a post that is on the topic of the week, and to comment on at least two other students' posts - 0.5% for posting, 0.25% for commenting. In the PD, one simply clicked on a student's link, and saw all discussion postings laid out. Nothing like this appears to exist in Canvas.

I wish I had seen the graded discussion workaround earlier, but something like the Performance Dashboard functionality is sorely needed in Canvas.

kbacer
Community Novice

I agree. I'm a little disheartened that this is a request that has been going on since 2017 and so important to have. We recently adopted Canvas and the discussions I feel are a huge step backwards from the other LMS we have been in previously. It would be extremely helpful to be able to see all the students posts in one place for participation assessment. 

Steven_S
Community Champion

I believe this idea has already been completed!  Discussions can be graded in the speedgrader with all student entries entered and links to the full context of the discussion above each entry.