Edit Calendar Assignment

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. June 3, 2015 - Wed. September 2, 2015  Learn more about voting...

I would like to be able to change the calendar that an event or assignment is assigned to without having to recreate the assignment or event.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27)

We recognize that this idea was not completed in the entirety of the request.  This is a great example of why we ask ideas to be submitted as singular specific ideas.  We are going to mark it as 'in beta' as it relates to 'change the calendar that an event... is assigned to'. 

25 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Makes sense. So, if you accidentally created an event for BIO 101 and wanted to edit and move it to PSYCH 201 instead, you should be able to do it via the calendar interface, right?

hpalmersheim
Community Novice
Author

Exactly, we run into trouble where teachers have created several events or assignments through the calendar and then realize they added it to their personal calendar or the wrong class and they get very frustrated.

tankovpa
Community Contributor

The ability to move an event or assignment to a different calendar and duplicating an event are the most common requests with calendars that we get in our district.

I am assuming that the issue with the moving of an assignment to a different calendar is an issue because it is trying to create the assignment in the target course and there are potential conflicts with due dates and whatnot that need to be checked against as valid. If it is the problem, then adding the function with just the events could be an easier feature to get added. Perhaps it would be good to split the feature request to just 'events' prior to voting.

snugent
Community Champion

Adding my comments from the old community.

The other day I was helping an instructor I found that she had inadvertently placed all of her events for a specific course on her personal calendar. Unless I am missing something there appears to be no way to edit the events and put them on the right course calendar. This means she will have to recreate these events on the right calendar and delete the ones on her personal calendar. It would be nice when editing events if you could switch which calendar they appeared on. When creating events it is super easy to forget to switch calendars especially since the personal calendar is the default calendar in the drop down menu.

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

I have made this exact mistake. It is easier to avoid the mistake now that the color coding is more obvious, but it would be nice to be able to switch (or copy) events from calendar to calendar.

cdr18
Community Novice

There has got to be a way to edit an event to add to multiple calendars. If you are teaching multiple classes, you have several calendars to choose from at once. Either allow the ability to edit an event to switch to a different calendar, or have a single calendar designated for each course. Also, if an assignment is open for multiple days, can you not allow the ability to open at 8:00 am on Tuesday and close on Thursday at 8:00 pm without having to enter the event 3 times on the calendar? Not sure there even needs to be a personal calendar in canvas since most of us don't use canvas to schedule our work. Just a thought! Thanks!

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Just discovered this: If you filter your view to only the calendar you're working on (How do I filter my Calendar view by course? ), then that calendar is pre-selected when you create an event. One less step to remember = fewer events that need to be deleted and re-created.

If you're just adding an event here or there, filtering the calendar adds extra steps, but if you're adding a lot of events at the beginning of the term, filtering the calendar saves time.

Maybe everyone else knows about this already, but I figured I'd share just in case.

nic2049003
Community Novice

Comment

emily_beckman
Community Contributor

This is a must. We sometime try to work quickly but we don't select the correct calendar and we want to change it. It would save us a lot of time to switch the calendar that it's linked to vs us having to create a new event.

Plus this might be an easy way to move events from one course to another when you want them moved instead of doing the copy and then needing to adjust all of them because you don't want them posted yet.

kwaitz
Community Novice

The calendar needs flexibility.  I need to be able to put in an event, change it to an assignment, and the reverse.  I should be able to change the class the event and assignment is attached to at any time (now it is only possible when setting up the assignment),  If I make a mistake now I need to copy, delete and make a new one.  I should be able to assign an event or assignment to more than one class (I teach the same class at two times in the same day).  If I try and create an assignment and accidently start it as an event then switch to assignment the text has to be re entered. All the choices should be seamless and simple.

I should also be able to highlight text in my syllabus and click create as event or assignment.  Typing twice is redundent.