Google Docs graded with Speedgrader tool

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote Wed. July 1, 2015 - Wed. October 7, 2015  Learn more about voting...

I would love to be able to have my students submit a Google Doc, Slide, Drawing or Sheet in Speedgrader and for the ability to use the Crocodoc tools to annotate directly on the file. Perhaps somehow it would be able to create a simple PDF of the submitted file so it can be annotated. This would make it so students on iPads or laptops could create a Google Doc and directly submit it to Canvas without having to first download it as a Word file to submit, which is a pain in the rear-end on an iPad. Plus it defeats the point of a Google doc and the ability to collaborate.

Grade and annotate on a submitted Google Doc via Speedgrader tool, both tablet and web version please.

Comments from Instructure...

Please find more information about this feature in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-08-29)

29 Comments
BradMoser
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

Thanks everyone for helping make this request into fruition. I love that we, as normal Canvas users, can post ideas and make requests and The Canvas Pandas make it so. Well done team.

rgibson1
Community Champion

Sorry, what am I missing? If I load the Google Doc URL into the Canvas I still don't see the annotation tools. And as the original submitter requested, I don't want to export the file into another format first. Huh?

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Rob,

To clarify Bradley's original request included, "Perhaps somehow it would be able to create a simple PDF of the submitted file so it can be annotated." which is how the integration currently functions.

Thanks,

SD

rgibson1
Community Champion

I discovered the Google Docs annotation features work. The faculty simply needs to log in. 😃

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Ah, details....  Smiley Happy

rgibson1
Community Champion

Another related question. A faculty member is receiving 'permission' requests for Google Docs submitted to SpeedGrader. What Google permission should students set their Doc so that faculty can open it? Since it's an assignment, "public" doesn't sound correct. Will the "Anyone with the link" work inside SpeedGrader? (Hard for me to test because I'm serving as both the student and faculty for the same document.)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed