[Gradebook] Class Average in Gradebook

I would like to share the idea of adding a "Calculate Class Average" in the Gradebook for each course. Right now, a teacher may view the average for each assignment by selecting "Assignment Details" but you cannot view the average of all the students' averages. So for example, if there were two students in a class, and if there are ten assignments for each student, and one student has a total assignment average of 100% and the other student has a total assignment average of 50%, the class average (the two students together) would be 75%. This could be particularly useful for determining whether or not a teacher is grading overall too harshly or overall too easily. For example, a class average of 90% may indicate that the teacher is grading all assignment overall too easily. This feature is in X2 Aspen and is listed at the bottom of the column that displays each students individual average for the class. I've attached a sample of what this looks like in X2 Aspen and would be really helpful in Canvas.

Added to Theme

Improve Gradebook settings options Theme Status: Identified

33 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

rwoodard
Community Explorer
Problem statement:

This feature would help teachers to get a quick feedback about students' performance to adjust the teaching plan

Proposed solution:

Canvas already has an average feature for each student - meaning average of each row. Please add average of each column

User role(s):

instructor,ta

LuciaHassell
Community Member
Problem statement:

Currently, the only way to see the average for a particular assignment or class grade when using the Canvas grade book is to follow this lengthy and non-intuitive process: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-compare-the-course-average-data-table-w...

Proposed solution:

I recommend adding a row at the bottom of each assignment in the grade book that auto-displays the average grade for said assignment. This could be turned on in off by clicking the three dots for that particular assignment depending on the assignment type.

User role(s):

instructor,ta,observer