[Gradebook] Class Average in Gradebook

I would like to share the idea of adding a "Calculate Class Average" in the Gradebook for each course. Right now, a teacher may view the average for each assignment by selecting "Assignment Details" but you cannot view the average of all the students' averages. So for example, if there were two students in a class, and if there are ten assignments for each student, and one student has a total assignment average of 100% and the other student has a total assignment average of 50%, the class average (the two students together) would be 75%. This could be particularly useful for determining whether or not a teacher is grading overall too harshly or overall too easily. For example, a class average of 90% may indicate that the teacher is grading all assignment overall too easily. This feature is in X2 Aspen and is listed at the bottom of the column that displays each students individual average for the class. I've attached a sample of what this looks like in X2 Aspen and would be really helpful in Canvas.

Added to Theme

Improve Gradebook settings options Theme Status: Identified

33 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

A course grade average will be a standard capability of Canvas soon:

However, that computed class average won't be located in the Gradebook, but rather in New Analytics.

rerickson2
Community Novice

It is not an option, the gradebook is about as new age as the old gradebooks where you wrote each person's grade in with a pencil!!

Rod

Rod Erickson MS, DC

Adjunct Professor

Biological Sciences

Miramar College

rerickson2
Community Novice

After how many years and Canvas finally figures out how to post grade analytics from the gradebook . This is rudimentary in any LMS that I have used for at least the last decade or two! Unacceptable.

Again, now one has to go out of the gradebook to find something i.e. class average from the gradebook. Illogical. Plus one cannot enter an item i.e. a test score in gradebook, one must create an ASSIGNMENT in assignments, then go to the gradebook to find it and enter a grade. Does this sound logical and time saving to the creators? I often wonder often if the creators of sites (LMS) like this ever were teachers in their lives, it sure doesn't seem like it.

Rod

Rod Erickson MS, DC

Adjunct Professor

Biological Sciences

Miramar College

curriebs
Community Member

I've been using Canvas for over 5 years and nothing has been done to significantly improve the Gradebook.  That I have to download a spreadsheet and calculate the mean grade for my course is outrageous.  A competent platform development team could crank out a fix in about 5 minutes.

asdfasdfdfsd
Community Novice

It would be beneficial and pretty easy to have a bottom row with the average score for each columned item in the gradebook.

Thanks

FDonald
Community Member

Why oh why doesn't canvas have an 'Average' for each column in the Grade page? This is not challenging coding and exists on other LMSs.

And why can't I get the Statistical Analysis for past exams if the Canvas shell has been moved to inactive? A teacher needs to be able to look at old exam stats for each question within the system.

Canvas seems to not be keeping up to date with the current needs of educators. I see that the request for an 'Average' row at the bottom of each column of the grade book has been requested since at least 2017.

Mamaholt1204
Community Novice

It would be very helpful if in the gradebook Canvas can provide the average per column.

jdtaricani
Community Member

It would be nice for Instructors to have the option to automatically calculate the average of all graded submissions within an Assignment Group.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New