[Gradebook] Freeze and Unfreeze (Hide/Unhide) Entire Gradebook

As an instructor, when I make some major adjustments to my grade book, every little thing that happens to the grade book "dings" the student's notifications. 
There should be a feature to allow some changes in grading and the grade book without completely freaking my students out. I don't want to start moving assignments and adjusting categories and kids getting notified about every little change.  There should be a way  to FREEZE my grade book and then UNFREEZE it after I've made the changes.  Perhaps this could be like one big button or drop-down option to "Hide/Unhide Entire Gradebook".

Added to Theme

Improve Gradebook settings options Theme Status: Identified

5 Comments
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, kredmon. I think this could be accomplished with posting policies. Check out How do I use posting policies in a course? I'll place this idea into moderation for now and please let us know if this works for you.

kredmon
Community Member
Hi Adam,
Thanks for this feedback, but this does not resolve the issue for me.  I understand how to Hide and Post grades.  I currently have my grade book to default as "manual" so I have to post the grades for each assignment.  Manually posting grades works for future assignments; however, I have about 30 assignments right now I want hidden while I "fiddle" with my grade book.  I would like to have a "button" or the ability to Hide my entire grade book and everything I've already posted while I move around some assignments, change grades, alter categories, etc.  The only way I am able to achieve this right now is to go through my entire grade book and Hide each individual assignment's grades that have already been graded and posted.  I have to go through and manually do this, one-by-one.  It's highly inefficient.  As an instructor, I should not only have the ability to hide individual grades for each assignment, but I should also have the ability to "Hide" the entire grade book while I work on things.  If I don't hide the entire grade book, then every time I change a grade or do anything in the grade book, students will get a notification that the instructor(me) is doing something!  Do you see my issue?
kredmon
Community Member

Hi Adam,

Thanks for this feedback, but this does not resolve the issue for me. I

understand how to Hide and Post grades. I currently have my grade book to

default as "manual" so I have to post the grades for each assignment.

Manually posting grades works for future assignments; however, I have about

30 assignments right now I want hidden while I "fiddle" with my grade

book. I would like to have a "button" or the ability to Hide my entire

grade book and everything I've already posted while I move around some

assignments, change grades, alter categories, etc. The only way I am able

to achieve this right now is to go through my entire grade book and Hide

each individual assignment's grades that have already been graded and

posted. I have to go through and manually do this, one-by-one. It's

highly inefficient. As an instructor, I should not only have the ability

to hide individual grades for each assignment, but I should also have the

ability to "Hide" the entire grade book while I work on things. If I don't

hide the entire grade book, then every time I change a grade or do anything

in the grade book, students will get a notification that the instructor(me)

is doing something! Do you see my issue?

Ms. Kelly Redmon

English 1

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zapdsB1AzlB5Q245bjh8nFS5vWZoPhL-x0Q_Gem0D7o/edit?usp=sharing>

& English Support

<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/153rOH_Zyd3SrKh6fFh-s2oYcweHRpEYDQwa5aqR3Zj8/edit?usp=sharing>

Instructor

Christian Club Advisor

*Carlmont High School1400 Alameda de las PulgasBelmont, CA 94002(650)

595-0210*

Please note, this account is monitored during regular business hours.

Embrace the balance, and learn more at http://www.unplugyouremail.com

#unplug

“A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us.” - Franz Kafka

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 9:47 PM Adam Williams <instructure@jiveon.com>

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme