[Gradebook] Set Default Grade + Status + Comment in one action

Problem statement:

Some teachers practice not assigning a zero grade for various reasons. I can fill blank scores by setting Default Grade and not overwriting current grades. However, it would be nice to also be able to set the status of the auto-filled scores as late/missing/excused and add a default comment for all those grades that were automatically changed.

Proposed solution:

When the dialog comes up about what to set the default grades, have two additional input fields included in the window that allow the user to set the status of the default grades and set a comment to go along with those default grades. All grades will be changed to have the default grade, default status, and default comment.

User role(s):

instructor,ta

2 Comments
mrainaldi
Community Participant
Author

And build in a "Find and Replace" score tool right below "Set Default Grade" with the same options to set default status and comment.

HenryLevel
Community Explorer
Problem statement:

I have several "on paper" or "no submission" assignments in my course, and usually there are a number of students who do not turn the assignment in. After typing the scores for students who submitted the work, I have to click on each remaining cell in the Gradebook column to type "mi." With 150+ students and dozens of assignments per semester this is very tedious and time-consuming.

Proposed solution:

When my school used Skyward, there was a button to click that said "Mark ungraded as '0' and Missing." This feature was a major time-saver and could be easily added to Canvas. I propose that Canvas add a similar button or check box in the Set Default Grade pop-up window. I am told there is one of these already that allows a teacher to assign "0" and "Missing" to all ungraded work in the course; however, that button is not helpful unless a teacher is entirely caught up on entering all scores for all assignments (a near mythical status in my world). It would be a extremely helpful if that button was available for each assignment.

User role(s):

instructor