[Gradebook Settings] Gradual automatic late penalties

There are several added flexibilities I would like to see added to the late penalty policy, as a correction to the apparent unfairness described by Timothy Lim, "The automatic late submission penalty is a useful feature. However, it's a bit of blunt instrument. Specifically, presently, there appears to be no way to distinguish between a student who submits an assignment even one minute past the deadline and another student who submits 23 hours and 59 minutes past the deadline."

I'd like to see the late penalty applied more gradually, and I believe these ideas offer canvas a quick way to graduate the late penalty:

• I'd like to have two decimal places added to the percentage deduction so that I could graduate the late penalty by applying 0.25% per hour instead of 6% per day. (1% per hour = 24% per day which is far more severe than I'd like.)
  • Canvas already tracks lateness as #.## days, and I would like to have the same two decimal places with which to decide the frequency of late penalty multiples, again so that I can gradually apply the penalty. For example, 0.05% per 0.01 days instead of 5% per day.

The second point would be even better if the late penalty options included a simple check box that would cause the daily or hourly penalty to be gradually and evenly applied using the smallest increment of time measured by canvas.  That would reduce set up calculations for the instructors.

Edited to remove duplication of:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/14976-more-late-penalty-options (which would allow weekends and holidays to be skipped, and make a grace period possible before late penalties apply)

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4670-late-grades-option-toggle (which would allow individual assignments to be excluded) and

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10441-separate-late-policies-for-individual-assignments (which more specifically allows individual late policies to be created for individual assignments.)

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

14 Comments
gilmanl
Community Member

I would like to be able to have a grace period for the late penalty. I make all HW due at 8 am for all of my classes, so it shows up on their calendar, but I don't mind if they scan and submit any time that day. 

I don't like the fact that a student who is a minute late gets penalized. I would like to set a grace period of 12 hours or something like that.

I can't make my assignments due in the evening instead of the morning, because that is very confusing for students and causes trouble.  

Also, being able to skip weekends is another feature I see mentioned here that I would like to see picked up by Canvas.

snoori
Community Member

At the risk of being redundant, a few of the earlier posts address my concerns as well. The requests that the thread originator makes are things I would love to see. Additionally, several previous replies also talk about adding additional flexibility as to when the late penalty is applied. Specifically, these include:

• a grace period after an assignment is due before the late penalty starts to take effect. 
  • excluding certain dates from the late penalty such as weekends and holidays. 

Being able to offer flexibility and grace, especially with late penalties, gives online a bit more of a human element, something I think we would all like to bring more of to online education. I believe this is particularly important when using this tool with K-12 education. 

Thank you for your consideration. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme