[Gradebook Settings] Late Policies Deduction Interval Needs a One-Time Deduction Option

Problem statement:

Teachers in our division use gradebook passback from Canvas to our SIS. The Canvas gradebook Settings > Late Policies currently possess the ability to automatically apply a deduction to late submissions. Unfortunately, the late submission deduction is set up to deduct a percentage daily or hourly. Our teachers have requested an additional setting that is more aligned to our grading practices. They would like to be able to automatically apply a ONE TIME late submission deduction instead of being limited to the current settings.

Proposed solution:

In Canvas Gradebook Settings > Late Policies > Automatically apply deduction to late submissions please include a one-time automatic deduction option. Otherwise the automatic deductions reduce student grades daily and hourly; those types of deductions are frowned upon in most K-12 settings.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,student,observer

Added to Theme

Improve Gradebook settings options Theme Status: Identified

2 Comments
AllisonHowell
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Added to Theme

This idea has been added to the Improve Gradebook settings options theme for further consideration.

bec25ka
Community Explorer
Problem statement:

Inquiry from our faculty: Currently I use the late grade policy but it doesn’t work quite how I would like, so I’m checking if it possible to configure the settings differently. What I would like to happen is a flat 20% grade reduction after the assignment deadline, not a deduction that increases over time. Can Canvas implement a drop-down menu where faculty could choose the percent of deduction they want to apply?

Proposed solution:

Faculty workaround: What I currently use is a 20% reduction/per day with 80% lowest grade threshold so that the reduction does not go beyond 20%. However, this means that the grade deduction does not affect assignments already lower than 80%. So if a student turns an assignment in late and also earns an 80%, the late penalty should still affect them so that they would get a 64% (20% off 80).

User role(s):

instructor