Grades - Filter or Sort Students by Groups

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

This idea is relatively simple in nature. I would like the ability to sort and/or filter the list of students in the grades tool by their groups.

198325_grades filter sort sections groups.pnggrades filter sort sections groups.png

In the screenshot above, we see the Canvas grade tool as of 08/18/2016. In the field marked with the number 1, we can filter either by student name or secondary ID. In this field or separate fields, it would be helpful if I could filter by student groups.

In the columns area (marked with the number 2), it would be beneficial to have a column showing student groups. This would allow for sorting by group. This may be a bit tricky since a student could potentially be in multiple groups, but I have faith in Instructure's ability to figure out tricky problems.

This idea is similar to but different from Gradebook: Bespoke Smart views and Gradebook Filters & Viewing Options. The scope of Gradebook Filters & Viewing Options is much broader. It would be great to have all those filtering options, but until we get there, it would be nice to tack on some filtering options to the current grades tool (like I'm suggesting in this idea). In Gradebook Filters & Viewing Options, Mr. Welsh is making a great suggestion, but it is focused on filtering the assignments. Although I also think this would be an important addition to the grades tool, I think it is important that we also have the ability to filter and sort our students.

I look forward to your comments and hope this idea gets voted up! Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2019-06-22)

17 Comments
j_c_turner
Community Contributor

I support this feature, as groups can be set up so easily by students and staff, but section creation can only be created efficiently by admin, or laboriously by staff adding each student one by one. This is ok for small numbers but we have cohorts of 300+. This would really help staff just mark their group, even with the anonymity turned on

So 'go groups'

jim

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

210728_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

kas200
Community Participant

We're launching an iteration of this idea again! If you're still interested in this functionality, consider giving the new one a vote: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8059-filter-grades-by-group 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2019-06-22)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@josh_harder  Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as, clifford.bass Thank You ,  @hasti  Thank You ,  @jkm249  Thank You ,  @kjr103  Thank You ,  @j_c_turner  Thank You , &  @kas200  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed