Graduated Scoring for Quiz Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

New Quizzes users can create multiple choice questions with varying points by answer. For more information, please read through is How do I create a Multiple Choice question in Quizzes.Next?  and  FAQ: New Quizzes.

Our faculty members would like to be able to provide graduated scoring on multiple choice Canvas quizzes.

For example, for a quiz with 4 answers, the scoring might be as follows:

A - 8 points

B - 2 points

C - 0 points

D - 10 points

24 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This sound like a similar idea as . That said, this idea will move forward in the next voting cycle since there might be significant differences in their design when it comes to engineering this feature.

Hopefully Richard Bartolowits and John Johnston will support each other's ideas when the voting opens on June 3.

don_fotheringha
Community Novice

Either of these ideas (Partial Credit or Graduated Scoring) is extremely important in disciplines where a proximate answer is worth something. I suspect many more faculty would be demanding this if they had experienced them in other LMSs. I used them heavily in both Blackboard and Moodle and now that I'm having to migrate to Canvas - I can find nothing close to the same functionality.

kona
Community Champion

Deactivated user, great to see you in the community and adding your support to these feature ideas!

daya_nelson
Community Novice

I am trying to do this very thing in Canvas and I just found out that capability isn't present yet. So we will probably have to use another application. I would very much support this feature being added to Canvas!

don_fotheringha
Community Novice

Welcome Daya and I see you voted on Partial Credit – thanks!

Please get everyone you can to vote … especially for Partial Credit.

AJC17246
Community Explorer

I'd like to suggest that if this idea is implemented it include Multiple Answer questions. That would also be a  chance to fix what I consider the bizarre scoring system currently used for multiple answer questions. Each possible answer would essentially be treated as a True/False question: if you make the right choice for that answer (selecting if correct, not selecting if incorrect) you get the points, otherwise zero points. Here, the ability to weight each answer differently would allow instructors to give the important ideas lots of points but still ask about harder options by giving those fewer points.

E.g.: Which of the following help explain why Canvas is so great?

• Awesome engineers [Correct; 1 point]
  • Swag at InstructureCon [Correct; 1 point]
  • Panda mascot [Correct; 2 points]
  • Owned by Blackboard [Incorrect; 2 points]

Selecting every answer as correct in this case would then earn 1 + 1 + 2 + 0 = 4 of 6 possible points.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

77296_pastedImage_0.png95756_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

cwendt
Community Champion

Don, please upvote my similar idea and encourage others to do so! Like you, I suspect that others don't recognize the worth of this idea simply because they have not used it in other LMS platforms. 

cwendt
Community Champion

Hey, there. Please upvote my similar idea and encourage others to do so! Like you, I suspect that others don't recognize the worth of this idea simply because they have not used it in other LMS platforms. 

" style="color: #2989c5;

cwendt
Community Champion

Hi, Biray!

please upvote my similar idea and encourage others to do so! Like you, I suspect that others don't recognize the worth of this idea simply because they have not used it in other LMS platforms. 

" style="color: #2989c5;

Perhaps Richard Bartolowits and John Johnston will vote on it and help pass along the word!