[Groups] Allow students to create their own groups of a specific size for assignments

Problem statement:

I would like students to create their own groups to submit a group assignment. Currently as the instructor I can create a group set, create the number and size of groups, and then students can assign themselves to one of these pre-created groups. However I have a large class, so it would take too long for me to tell each group which one to sign up for (e.g., you are group one, you are group two, etc). I should note that the groups can vary for each class, and each class is only 50 minutes, so I would have to do this every single time. If I allow students to pick their own pre-created group this seems messy because all groups will try to sign up for group 1 at the same time since we’re all working on the assignment in class at the same time.

Proposed solution:

I would like to be able to tell canvas what the size of groups should be, but then students can go in and create their own groups and assign themselves to a group. This way I don’t need to set the number of groups ahead of time, since the number of students attending class varies day to day, and students are not confused about which group to sign up for.

User role(s):

instructor

Added to Theme

1 Comment
SamGarza1
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Added to Theme