[Modules] Time as a module requirement for progression

In modules, you can edit the settings to add specific pre-requisites or other requirements. We are requesting to add a time element as a requirement. For example, FAA has a 'seat time' requirement. This is measured in a face to face class with time spent in class. In an online class, we could measure this by time spent in a module. Therefore, is it possible to add a time requirement where professors could choose the amount of time needing to be spent in a module before progressing to the next module?

If yes, could the time spent in modules actually be broken out by time spent on individual pages? For example, in Page Views we can see the date and time a student landed on a page, can we see the time spent on the page.

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

13 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

hunter, thank you for submitting this idea. You might also be interested in  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1193-student-activity-report-student-time-log , which is currently open for voting and in Product Radar status, and https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7915-add-a-time-to-complete-assignment-time-stamp-field" modif... , which is open for voting.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm wondering how this could actually be measured.  What happens if someone is navigating a course and leaves his/her desk for "x" amount of time while still logged in.  The student hasn't actually done anything in the course, but yet the time is still ticking away.  How would you know if someone was actually working within a module or not...especially for a totally online course?  I could see where this might require a lot of back-tracking to see user activity in a course.

hunter
Community Novice

Chris, I have that same concern. On our campus, our IT log you out after 2 hours 'lack of interaction'.  However, that does not answer the question of how 'active' a student was during the time they were logged in. You can log in and then go watch a movie. The FAA requires 'seat time' to be logged for ground courses and at the moment this is my best option but I am open to what others have done. I am sure I am not the first school dealing with FAA regulations.

On a side note, this question for an online class that is not asked of a face to face class cracks me up. We assume because students are in their seats that they are active when in reality they could be half asleep or playing on their phones. 

hunter
Community Novice

Stefanie

Thank you for these two links, I voted for them as well. The first link might work for our needs.

u0560079
Community Explorer

How to vote up for a request that have been archived? Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@u0560079 ‌, this idea is open for voting; just make sure you're logged in to see the Vote Up | Vote Down arrows. Archived ideas can no longer be voted upon, but anyone who wants to do so can resubmit it as new to put it forward for a new round of consideration by the Community.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

hunter

I guess I have the polar-opposite concern of  @Chris_Hofer ‌, What about the top 10 - 20 percent of your students who actually need less time on task to master the content. They would be penalized by this system, and forced to sit there waiting for the clock to tick, and would be hounding you to open up the next module.

While we may want to keep all our students on task, we do not want to disengage a significant portion of our students.

Technology is not always a solution.

Kelley

u0560079
Community Explorer

Done. Thanks!

hunter
Community Novice

Kelley

In most cases I agree 100% with you, allowing students to work as needed is part of personalized learning. In the case, I share, we have a federal regulation which requires proof of 'seat' time. Too bad the government doesn't catch up to learner-centered thinking.

Jen

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi hunter

Ah yes, and thanks for the clarification.

Do not get me started on the Feds and their 1950s approach to education policy.  We have both a commercial pilot program and aeronautics Tech at our school. However, State is not much better and they just last years started letting Cosmetology programs start using online to replace a percentage of their required seat times.

Kelley