[New Quizzes] Allow File Upload Question Submissions to be Previewed in Speedgrader

In most contexts, when a file such as a Word document or PDF is linked in Canvas, a preview button is added alongside the filename, which allows the user to preview the file in-line without downloading the file:

353505_Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 11.55.53 AM.png

However, this is not the case for file-upload question submissions, which must be downloaded by the grader in order to be viewed in both quizzes:

353506_Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 11.56.13 AM.png

and New Quizzes.

353513_Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 11.56.23 AM.png

In order to streamline the process of grading file upload question submissions, Canvas should add the ability to preview file upload attachments in-line in the speedgrader for New/Classic Quizzes.

Added to Theme

33 Comments
atuominen
Community Participant

Please add this feature.  For equity reasons, for pedagogical reasons, many faculty accept all kinds of quiz submission uploads, and grading these should not be an additional burden.  Imagine the language teacher who wants her students to practice handwriting Kanji characters, or the ESL teacher whose students need practice writing but may not have great computer access so will complete on paper.  Not to mention math.  

doug_romine
Community Participant

This feature would be very helpful!

sanewman-gomez
Community Novice

IN OUR MATH QUIZZES WE NEED THE ABILITY FOR GRADER (me) TO ANNOTATE WITH OUR TABLET E-PEN ON EACH PAGE (PHOTO) SO STUDENTS CAN VIEW CORRECTIONS MADE DIRECTLY TO THEIR WRITTEN WORK

Is there any way we can add this feature to the QUIZZES we have already created?

Thanks!

meierj
Community Member

PLEASE add the ability to use SpeedGrader with file uploads from Quizzes. We rely on the time stamps within quizzes to monitor exam time. Our students upload PDFs as part of their exams and right now we have to use Box as a work around so that faculty can comment on student work. The functionality exists in assignments, please add it to New Quizzes! Thanks--

RebeccaMoulder
Community Contributor

Adding SpeedGrader and especially DocViewer functionality to file-upload questions in New Quizzes would save significant time spent grading and make New Quizzes the superior quiz engine.

riddlers
Community Member

This is a must have for us since all our exams/quizzes include a file submission.  The ability to preview and annotate a file in SpeedGrader would save our faculty time and benefit them greatly.

BetsyL
Community Member

Please add SpeedGrader to New Quizzes.  This functionality is essential for our faculty, who need to view and comment on quiz file submissions.

skriloffn
Community Explorer

Please add SpeedGrader to New Quizzes.  Our faculty need to view and comment on quiz file submissions.

DerrickDavis
Community Member

I think this is a necessary feature. 

MF11
Community Member

I HATE the fact that checking uploads in New Quizzes does not allow me to immediately view and annotate them, unlike in the old quizzes. It has made my work so slow. I hope a solution comes up soon. Please please please enable DocViewer annotation and commenting tools on the new quizzes 😞 😞  😞