[New Quizzes] Allow Regrading for Manually Graded Questions

There are a few reasons for regrading a quiz. These include needing to:

• change the correct answer
  • change points value for the whole item
  • change points values on individual answers (if applicable)

Currently, it's only possible to regrade automatically graded questions in New Quizzes. The "Regrade" option should be applied to Essay and File Upload questions, too, since an instructor may need to change the points possible for a question or quiz after students have submitted and there's not an easy way to do that outside of Canvas.

Added to Theme

10 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

TiffanyStull
Community Participant

I think the problem with automatically regrading essay questions would be that it would reset the grades for all students to 0, since that's the default grade on submission of an essay answer, regardless of the essay's initial point value.

I think an option to auto-regrade essays, if added, would need to:

• Be selectable on a per-question basis (e.g., I only want to auto-regrade a specific essay question, not all of them).
  • Offer a choice of desired behavior for regrading (e.g., scale points to a new point value vs. reset previously-entered grades to 0).
RebeccaMoulder
Community Contributor

@TiffanyStull Regrading in New Quizzes is always applied only per question. When you regrade an auto-graded question currently, it applies to all submissions containing that question, but does not affect other questions unless you regrade them separately.

TiffanyStull
Community Participant

Oh that's interesting; thanks!  I'll need to do some more testing of it.

mcyaber
Community Member

I used to be able to regrade the answers on essay questions in New quizzes.  This is not the case anymore.  How can we go back to be able to edit the answers or add new answers in the new quizzes when regrading and all students already submitted their answers.

swynn
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @mcyaber 

I am sorry you are experiencing not being able to regrade essay questions. Could you provide some more information on how you are trying to regrade so we can look at it more specifically before sending it up as an idea? 

Thank you in advance!

mcyaber
Community Member

Hi,

Last week I had essay questions in the new quizzes.  For example :  Name the muscle:  The students have to answer the name of the muscle For example the answer was: Rectus abdominis.  I was able last week to regrade the questions by either editing the current answer or adding a new answer  For example I was able to change the capital letter to a lower case:  rectus abdominis (this was an editing change) or add new possible answers like: Rectus abdominis muscle.   I tried to do those same types of changes in the new quizzes after the submission of all the students so the change could apply to all of them,  as I did last week andI was not able to edit or add other answers.

Is there a change in the new quizzes that is now limiting this process that was available last week?

Thanks

Carolina Yaber

polzinc
Community Participant

Need to be able to update or change point value for an essay/short answer question for students who have already taken the quiz. A teacher realized they didn't change the point value for the essay question from 1 point to 3. She caught the issue after a class completed the quiz so updated the point value to 3.  It applied the updated points possible to the other classes, but there is currently not a way to easily update that score for the students who had already took the quiz. 

SarahButzen
Community Member

I really agree that this is an issue that needs to be fixed. It's not clear why it would be possible to change the point value on an auto-graded question, but this would be made impossible on a manually graded question. I had the same issue as an above commenter — accidentally left the default number of points (1) in place for an essay question without realizing it, and didn't catch it in time.

Now, in order to give the appropriate full and partial credit to the students who wrote the essay questions, I am having to set up a spreadsheet to help me determine what their percentage score would have been with the appropriate question weighting, and then add the right number of "fudge points" to get the score there.. This is an amount of extra work that has me resolved to use Google Forms next time, where an issue like this is simple to fix.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme