New Quizzes: Allow Rich Content editing for fill in the blank

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Fill in the blank only allows word answer. If my students needs to enter (2sin(x)cos(x)) or something from calculus it gets confusing. If students as well as teachers are allowed to use Rich Content Editing in simple fill in the blank. I believe it will make it easier for all the chemistry and math teacher because it will enable latex typing.

For Example: This is hard to input:

124060_expression.gifexpression.gif

Inputting: (sin(3x))/((x-3)(x+3))-((3sin(x)cos^2(x)-sin^3(x))/(x^2-9)) can be very tricky and can be easily mistaken. Therefor if rich content editing(LaTex system) were to be allowed students can easily type

124060_expression.gifexpression.gif

instead of (sin(3x))/((x-3)(x+3))-((3sin(x)cos^2(x)-sin^3(x))/(x^2-9))

81 Comments
andrew_wilkins
Community Novice

PLEASE add this to Quizzes.Next!  I'm loving the platform for math for the most part, but until students can respond using LaTeX, it's only half as good as it could be!

jessica_coates
Community Explorer

Agree!  Having students answer using LaTeX would eliminate our need to use other programs to supplement.  

andrew_wilkins
Community Novice

I agree with much of your analysis.  It would best be placed in "numeric" question types.  It would also be great for "formula" question types so that multiple questions of the same type, but with different numbers can be used in a quiz.  However, I see a need with fill in the blank questions if you have students simplifying expressions, for example.  The responsibility would be on the teacher's instructions to be clear and perhaps some coaching beforehand on how to use the tool.

Most importantly, this takes programming that will check for equivalent solutions.  That might be the most difficult component and perhaps why it's not already implemented.  It would definitely be very helpful, though.  

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

shafique_virani
Community Member

Need this feature for quizzes in right to left languages (e.g. Hebrew and Arabic) as well!

mieke_hoing
Community Participant

Yes, please!

This would also solve the following problem:

One of our teachers has created a regular quiz and migrated it to Quizzes.Next. In the migrated version, the lay-out of fill-in-the-blank questions with multiple blanks is lost.

This is what it looked like in the regular quiz:

Fill-in-the-blank question with multiple blanks in a regular quiz

And this is how it came out:

Fill-in-the-blank question with multiple blanks in quizzes.next

Turns out there is no way to change this. Quizzes.Next gives you no options whatsoever for laying out fill-in-the-blank questions.

Being able to edit them in the rich content editor would give a lot more flexibility. Not just for inserting newlines, but also for images, videos, tables, text formatting etc.

lsavage
Community Novice

Old Quizzes:

302229_screenshot-lammersvilleusd.instructure.com-2019.01.08-16-20-05.png

Quizzes.Next:

302231_screenshot-lammersvilleusd.instructure.com-2019.01.08-16-16-27.png

302232_screenshot-lammersvilleusd.instructure.com-2019.01.08-16-15-49.png

Please make this change! On the instructor side, I would like to see RCE in the blank creation box under "Type a statement, select text, and press Enter to create a new blank."

And can we PLEASE get rid of the highlight, press enter process? The brackets are SO much easier.

kara_digiorgio
Community Novice

ABSOLUTELY!!!  I teach Chem (and soon Physics) and need this feature ASAP for empirical formulas, nomenclature, etc.

kroeninm
Community Champion

Yes, we have a number of instructors that have formatted questions in our existing quizzing tool that will need to redesign questions if they move to Quizzes.Next.

Melanie

alissaarcline
Community Participant

I agree; I would really love to have this feature. I teach languages, and have used grids such as the above for students to enter conjugations of verbs, etc. But I can't do that with the way quizzes.next is currently set up (i.e., with no RCE for fill-in-the-blank answer options).