[New Quizzes] Create Option for Extra Credit Question in Quiz

Users should be able to mark a question to be used for extra credit in a quiz in Canvas.  This question should only provide credit to the student if it is correct.  It should NOT take away from the student's overall score on the quiz if they get it wrong or do not answer it.

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

68 Comments
Steven_S
Community Champion

I add extra credit questions by making the question worth zero points and putting the extra credit points available in the typed question details.  This works, because I always assign extra credit that requires manual grading.  When I manually grade in speed grader, I just type in the points earned, and so my students earn 10 out of zero points for a correct extra credit question, or zero out of zero points for an incorrect extra credit question.  It adds into their total score correctly. 

It would be more clear to students if the system actually displayed the potential extra credit points where the students currently see that it is worth zero points, but a short heading "extra credit (10 points)" is all my students need as clarification.

pshaw
Community Member

In Blackboard, it had an an automated extra credit grader. You didn’t have to manually do anything to award extra credit points. So, why does not Canvas have such a fundamental feature?

Sincerely,

Peter M Shaw

Professor of Business Management and Administration

TCC Norfolk Campus

http://faculty.tcc.edu/PShaw

757-822-1151

Steven_S
Community Champion

Peter, I agree that canvas should have this feature!  However, I am a simple instructor and so I can only share the solution that has allowed me to teach the class the way I want.  The canvas IT person that shrugged off your question probably needed to give you a more detailed answer.  I hope he did not really mean to say they are refusing to make this change, just that the 10% is huge and they are working on as many ideas as they can.

pshaw
Community Member

This idea has been posted for three long years. It is in the top 10%!

What is the excuse now?

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @pshaw ...

I understand the frustration when we think things should be implemented in a quicker timeframe.  I've been there right with you and others in this topic...not because I am for/against this idea...but more because I, too, have had Feature Ideas get put on the back burner.  Here's an example I submitted just over four years ago: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2274-html-formatter" modifiedtitle="true" title="HTML Formatte....  Thanks to cesbrandt‌, he's come up with a work-around (HTML Editor Syntax Highlighter) that I use on a daily basis while we continue to wait for Instructure to implement something in their core Canvas product.  Yet, at the same time, Instructure has also implemented some of my Feature Ideas that I thought would never see the light of day...and those ideas didn't even get that many votes from Community members (which, by the way, isn't the only method Instructure uses to decide what should be implemented or not).  So...I get it.  But don't lose hope.  🙂

One of the resources at the bottom of the submitted Feature Idea is Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.  This blog includes a table, and the last row describe the "top 10%" in more detail.  Also, you can visit Ideas to get an idea of what the priorities are for Instructure and what they are working on right now...among other things.

I hope this info will be of help to you, Peter.

pshaw
Community Member

This issue has been up in the website for more than four years!

Don’t you have anyone skilled enough to make this happen.

Blackboard has had an extra credit grading feature for years!

Sincerely,

Peter M Shaw, MBA

Professor of Business Management & Administration

Business/Economics, Norfolk Campus

Tidewater Community College

————————————————

Andrews Building

315 Granby Street, Suite+1409

Norfolk, VA 23510

(o): 757-822-1151

(m): 757-622-9527

(e): pshaw@tcc.edu<mailto:pshaw@tcc.edu>

http://faculty.tcc.edu/PShaw

“In leadership, your overall legacy can either oversee success or failure. No in-between.”

pshaw
Community Member

This issue has been up in the website for more than four years!

Don’t you have anyone skilled enough to make this happen.

Blackboard has had an extra credit grading feature for years!

Sincerely,

Peter M Shaw, MBA

Professor of Business Management & Administration

Business/Economics, Norfolk Campus

Tidewater Community College

clund
Community Novice

This is a feature that is desperately needed. As has been stated, it is one found in other LMSs. There should be no reason it is not in Canvas.

paul1
Community Participant

Exactly! This is so disappointing to see this idea going back to 2015 and still nothing...our SIS has an LMS feature that provides this functionality and so much more yet we're moving our courses to Canvas, which is actually going to make things MORE difficult for the instructors since more manual grading will need to be done. 

paul1
Community Participant

Agreed...it boggles my mind that this was never included and STILL hasn't been added after all of these years, AND not even in Quizzes Next!