[New Quizzes] Editing Names of New Quizzes

It seems like quiz names have to be changed twice -- in the module, and in the quiz. This is a problem. New Quizzes is filled with these little inconsistencies that make what has such potential extremely frustrating to use. 

5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@ellisonl15  Thanks for sharing this idea. We'll need some clarification, however. I navigated to a new quiz and changed its name; upon saving, the new name I created displayed in the module in which the quiz is placed. Similarly, when I changed the name of the quiz directly in the module, the quiz itself displayed the new name.

Would you walk through the steps you're performing to change the name of a new quiz so we can identify the issue?

ellisonl15
Community Participant

Sure. I just duplicated a quiz (New Quiz). The name of the quiz I copied was called "Questions to Guide your Reading." The copied quiz then took the name "Questions to Guide your Reading copy." I added this copied quiz to a module and changed its name using the dot stack. The new name in the module: 

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 12.11.07 PM.png

When I open the quiz, I get the first page reflecting the new name: 

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 12.12.11 PM.png

But when I click on "Build" to edit the quiz, it reverts to the name of the original quiz. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 12.11.42 PM.png

I look forward to New Quizzes being fully integrated with Canvas soon. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Thanks, @ellisonl15 ! These screenshots are very helpful, as they allow us to zero in on the issue, namely that the Build tab isn't updating the name of the quiz when it is changed on the Assignments or Modules pages. We'll move this forward for broader discussion.

jetooron
Community Member

@ellisonl15,

We have the same frustrations with new quizzes at my institution.  An instructor made multiple copies of the original new quiz in his course for use as a just-in-time assessment for every class session.  He renames the copied quiz so it looks fine in the module but when he updates the quiz in "Build" the old source quiz name is retained and requires editing again.  So he needs to change the name of each copied new quiz twice!  Crazy.  It's also easy to forget this and not discover until a student spots it and gets confused.  I'm sure this issue is due to the fact that new quizzes is an external LTI, but since there is communication between Canvas and the new quizzes LTI when you first duplicate the quiz why can't the name also pass into the build page name field?  This needs to work smoother than it does currently.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme