[New Quizzes] Formula Question / Non numeric

I would like to see a formula question where the variable values can be generated by a formula, and does not necessarily have to be numeric.  Likewise, answers do not necessarily have to be numeric.  As an example take a question where a student is being asked to convert a hexadecimal number to binary. In this case "convert hexadecimal `x` to binary".  In this case I need to be able to write a formula to create possible values for `x`, and that formula needs to be able to generate non-numeric string values like "3BF" or "9A7".

Likewise if I asked a student to 'convert binary `y` to hexadecimal", I need to be able to write a formula which will generate a random string of 0s and 1s as possible values for `y` (such as 00110), and I also need the student to be able to enter a non-numeric answer, such as "3BF" or "9A7".

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

clarson1
Community Explorer

A formula for generating the problem values shown in the "Question" would be valuable.  Even something like having students divide and end up with integer answers can't be done as a formula question.  If I could enter the problem in the "Question" as `a*b`/`b` and then set the value ranges for a and b, it would work.

Sometimes I just want odd or even numbers in the problem.  I can't do that currently.  I would love to enter formulas like `2n` or `2n+1`.

Instead of a formula in the "Question", we could define variables in the value ranges area.  Instead of only doing a range from low to high, we could choose between range, list, or formula.  For formula, we could have a variable defined by the other variables.  So,

in the "Question", we would have `n`/`b`.

in the value ranges area, we would have

1. n=(formula) a*b
  2. a=(range) Min 1 Max 10
  3. b=(list) 1, 2, 3, 5, 7

Combined with the following suggestions and "Formula Question" would be a quiz option of superhero levels of power.

Other answer formats: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/New-Quizzes-Responses-in-Fractions-for-Formula...

Variables used by multiple questions: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Grouped-Formula-Questions-Shared-Set-of-Define...

Random Value Selection Options:  https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/New-Quizzes-Formula-Question-Pick-from-set/idi...

clarson1
Community Explorer

Another thought:

What if we randomly select the answer and put it through a series of steps to create the problem the student is presented with?

In the "Question" we enter `a`.

In the value range, we enter

1. x= Min 1 Max 10
  2. f= Min 1 Max 10
  3. g= Min 1 Max 10
  4. h=x*f+g
  5. a= " `f`x + `g`=`h` "

If the formula picks x=3, f=2, and g=1, the student gets 2x+1=7.  The answer of 3 is guaranteed to come out as intended because the formula started with the answer to create the problem.

SeanMartin
Community Novice

Hi Canvas,

One feature that would be very helpful would be the ability to use formulas (like the formula questions) but to have a multiple choice answer format.

For example:

Question:

A person walks to the store traveling at {3 m/s} for {7.2 s}. How far did the person travel during the {7.2 s}?

The 3m/s and 7.2 s are variables with defined ranges and decimals.

The formula: answer = {3 m/s}*{7.2 s}

formula: distractor1 = answer * {0.3}     (0.3 is a variable with a defined range)

formula: distractor2 = answer * {1.9}       (1.9 is a variable with a defined range)

formula: distractor 3 = answer + {2.4}       (2.4 is a variable with a defined range)

Student view:

A person walks to the store traveling at 3 m/s for 7.2 s. How far did the person travel during the 7.2 s?

A) 21.6 m

B) 6.5 m

C) 41.0 m

D) 24 m

Students look to see if their answer of 21.6 m is an option.

This type of question format would allows students to check their answer with the possible answer choices to see if any of them match what they did. If one matches, it gives the student confidence that they did the calculations correctly. If none of the answers match, the student knows to recheck their work for a possible numerical error or conceptual one.

This also allows the students to transition into the harder, formula based questions with an numerical response.

Furthermore, with the formulas, each student can have their own dynamically created question so that students can't share numerical answers.

I think this type of option would benefit a lot of math and mathematical science classes.

Thanks,

Sean

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

haselbjr
Community Member
Problem statement:

I teach electronics, and need answers to be in hexadecimal or another base number in a quiz formula question. Obviously, any non-numeric character isn't able to be used for a formula response at this time. Can a base conversion feature or formula be added?

Proposed solution:

Adding a base conversion operation would be a simple fix, or allowing non-numeric character. Being able to type in something like "hex(429)" and have the students able to answer "1AD" should be straightforward. For example - Python is just one language that has a hex() function built in.

User role(s):

instructor,designer