[New Quizzes] Immediate feedback in quizzes

Many times, we write quizzes that get progressively more difficult. I would love a feature where students can get grades as they go on a quiz. In other words, they can submit their answer for question 1 and see correct answers and/or comments before they have to submit their answer for question 2.  By doing such, a student could determine if they are on a completely wrong trajectory before failing an entire quiz. This can maximize effectiveness of instructor comments, identify key basic misunderstandings before advancing, give immediate feedback for the student, and allow the quiz to be both a learning and assessment tool.

Currently, the only option to do this is to create multiple one question quizzes instead of a single multi question quiz. This is not only cumbersome, but can be awkward within Grades (especially if you have settings to drop high/low scores)

Added to Theme

85 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

RobertGreeney
Community Member
Problem statement:

New Quizzes do not allow single question submission. An entire quiz, assignment, or set of learning exercise must be completed and submitted before feedback is received. This makes assignments of 20 or 40 questions almost impossible.

Proposed solution:

Student learning benefits greatly from frequent feedback. It would be enormously beneficial to enable students to submit their answers to single questions and have the option of multiple tries (with or without penalty) before they proceed to the next question. Certainly when quiz/assignment function is used a a learning exercise this option is essential. Even when I use quizzes primarily for summative rather than formative assessment, it is better if student can check their answers to each question before proceeding. In my past experience with this option has always existed. My hundreds of learning exercises (quiz question) written in Moodle have transferred well into Canvas, but I will be unable to use them unless I divide each week's assignment in to 20 to 40 mini-assignment . Cumbersome to say the least and a nightmare for the Gradebook. Excuse my upset tone, but I really think adding this feature to New Quizzes is the single most far reaching feature you could add. I feel confident that hundreds if not thousands of users would benefit. Thank you. Bob Greeney

User role(s):

instructor

MPioRoda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Seeking Clarity

Hi Bob! It looks like we already have an idea called [New Quizzes] Immediate feedback in quizzes that is in our Theme for Provide more options to provide quiz feedback to students.  Can you review and confirm that this covers what you are requesting and then we can merge the two ideas. Thank you for your idea!  

RobertGreeney
Community Member

responding to the following comment, I agree that my posting is asking for the same feature as the feature requested below.

Hi Bob! It looks like we already have an idea called [New Quizzes] Immediate feedback in quizzes that is in our Theme for Provide more options to provide quiz feedback to students.  Can you review and confirm that this covers what you are requesting and then we can merge the two ideas. Thank you for your idea!  

It seems I am unable to post any comment under that other Theme.  Are comments closed or am I not seeing how to comment?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi! Currently, comments are not available under themes, but that will change during the next voting window. How do I participate with themes?