New Quizzes: Next button for Module Progression

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-07-17).

There should be a "Next" and "Previous" button in Quizzes.next/New Quizzes like there is for regular quizzes, assignments, pages, etc. When a student is in the flow within a module, they are able to advance through the module by clicking "Next" at the bottom of the page (quiz, assignment, etc.). But when Quizzes.next is in the module they are taken to a page where there is no "Next" or "Previous" and their flow within the module is interrupted. The student can click on "Return" at the top of the page, which returns them to the module, but it does not return them to the next item in the module, so their flow is interrupted.

68 Comments
cgifford1
Community Explorer

I agree!  It totally disrupts the flow of Modules when a student has to return to the Modules page instead of progressing to the next assignment. 

canvasuser99
Community Member

The new quiz builder kicks the user out of the individual course every single time. I can no longer move through my course page by page (via the "next" button at the bottom of the page) once I get to the new quiz page. Terrible waste of time and very disorienting. 

canvasuser99
Community Member

When I go through a course (using the "next" buttons on the bottom of each page" in "student view," things work great until I hit a page with a new quiz. (This doesn't happen with the classic quizzes that are there.) Once the quiz is previewed/completed (and I assume this is the case for students, as well, since I'm in student view), there's no way to click "next" anymore and proceed through the rest of the module. If it's really the case that students get thrown out of a module every time they take a quiz created in the new quiz builder, then that means I can no longer use the new quiz builder. But I also can't use the old quiz builder because the spaces/windows allocated for answers are too small to enable one to see or properly edit the answer possibilities. Catch-22 and deeply frustrating. 

darren_marsh
Community Explorer

I also only recently became aware of this, it's another concern along with the disappearance of the course menu whenever new quizzes are are used. It makes it difficult to make the case for structuring content around Modules in online courses which use new quizzes. The lack of a 'text (no question)' type also means you can't include a link back to a location in the course. Please review this Instructure before the old quizzes are retired.

canvasuser99
Community Member

I just wanted to add that I find the new quiz builder unusable and hope that the old quiz builder won't be retired. The fact that the new quiz tool kicks students (and faculty) out of the module they're in and disrupts the entire flow of the course makes it a no-go. In addition, the old quiz builder allowed one to change question type while midway through creating a question. That's no longer an option with the new quiz builder--which seems in many ways almost like it was designed to waste as much of people's time as possible. 

m_jump
Community Member

Yes please!!

MargotAngstrom
Community Novice

Agreed!

There should be a "next" button in new quizzes. Otherwise, navigation to the next item is not streamlined, and we lose students. We are reluctant to begin using the new quiz function because this feature doesn't yet exist. 

Thanks for developing this button on new quizzes.

mcalhounbsd
Community Member

Yes, this absolutely needed.

michelel_henriq
Community Novice

Please add the 'next' and 'previous' buttons after the new quiz is completed.  Students need uninterrupted navigation/flow options to move past the quiz other than returning home.  Many of my students were confused and I do not always want to make the modules or pages visible.

lowea
Community Participant

We can't use the new quizzes until this issue is fixed. We do not want to lose students whilst completing modules.