[New Quizzes] Report Metrics Lack of Information

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas LMS

Problem statement:

In New Quizzes Reports there are numerous metrics that require knowledge of statistical analysis. Metrics such as RPB (Point-Biserial Correlation Coefficient) and Cronbach’s Alpha are not common knowledge.

Proposed solution:

We have found that our faculty are interested in the findings of New Quizzes reports, but are unfamiliar with some of the terms. The use of acronyms and formulas requires further description. These descriptions can be found by reviewing Canvas support documentation - https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-view-reports-for-a-quiz-in-New-Quizzes/.... However, course administrators should be able to get brief descriptions or links to helpful resources (when necessary) from the user interface. We are recommending that Instructure add hover text with a description or links to details. Resources should include an explanation that demonstrates the value of the metric and how it can be used in Canvas.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,ta

Added to Theme

5 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

AndyDunfee
Community Member

I have found that the "quiz statistics" feature using the classic quizzes options is much better compared to the new quizzes reports which is the primary reason that I prefer using classic quizzes over new quizzes. Reasons for this is that I can show my classes their data immediately after they take a practice assessment or assessment compared to using the reports options in new quizzes where all my classes (if cross-listed) need to have taken the assessment to observe the data. Also, using quiz statistics I am able to toggle between my sections in a cross-listed course where I cannot using the reports option in new quizzes. Would it be possible to add the "quiz statistics" option when using new quizzes? Thanks.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

TamasBalogh
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

Hi @olden043,

With the new report, we added tooltips to the less known metrics. 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2023-09-16)