[New Quizzes] Show what score will be kept before students take their first attempt on a quiz

In the history of quizzes, when a teacher creates a quiz with multiple attempts, they usually set which score to keep (highest, latest, average). However, students will not be aware of this until they take their first attempt on a quiz.

As you can see below, it is set to keep the highest score by default.

Kept score NQ

Here's the starting page as it looks now...

7 days limit

...and how I want it to be.

Proposed instructions

Proposed layout for what score will be kept. This was taken from Classic Quizzes, but I gave it a retrofit, adding elements from New Quizzes like the time limit, due date, and the number of attempts.

As you can see above, I added another sentence after the number of attempts showing what score will be kept, which can be one of the following:

• "Your highest score will be kept."
  • "Your latest score will be kept."
  • "Your average score of all your attempts will be kept."

This feature will not work if "Show points earned" is unchecked in New Quizzes.

This is a very important idea. What if a teacher fails to provide clear instructions for the quiz, especially the score to be kept? That could be dangerous for students. We want students to excel and thrive, not tire out. Keep in mind, teachers do not necessarily need to keep the highest score for all of their quizzes.

Added to Theme

6 Comments
cody_denton
Community Novice

This would be advantageous especially for students that are having to do work from home. I know they get really anxious when they don't know how things are going to be scored.

parmana
Community Participant

This is a good idea.

RebeccaMoulder
Community Contributor

Once had a student complete a quiz 61 times because they weren't sure which version would be kept. 61 times!!

SDG88
Community Member

Any update on making this feature available for New Quizzes? We have received this request from a few instructors and it is definitely a helpful piece of information for students to know what to expect in terms of scores.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme