New UI: Move the Help button up in the Navigation

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
In the new UI the help button displays at the very bottom of the global navigation. I asked people what they thought about this in the User Group: New UI group. Everyone who posted agreed. In beta it is covered up by the pink beta banner so you can't even see it. I think most people will not see it. I would prefer it was right next to the account button (see yellow outline below). Also it seems weird to me to have the admin button in the middle of the other options.

104614_move-help-up.pngmove-help-up.png

22 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for submitting this feature idea snugent! Thank you for linking to the discussion you are having in the New UI group! In order to attract the support of other Canvas users to support an idea we always encourage those who submit feature ideas to review and do their best to comply with these tips: How do I write a good feature idea submission?

If you need to make any adjustments to your original feature idea, just visit your feature idea page at any time, and click the "Edit" button (right-column), make changes, and click "Publish"

In the meantime I will update your feature idea to go up for voting on October 7th! Smiley Wink

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I would like to see the Help button displayed more prominently in the new UI, and am looking forward to voting in favor of this feature idea.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2015.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

leward
Community Contributor

Agreed.  Help should be much more prominant.

BethCrook
Community Contributor

98% of our users are on 13" MacBook Air/Pros and don't even realize the Help button exists.  So simply moving it up is helpful.

Cindy_Masek
Community Contributor

I had difficulty seeing it on the smaller screens that are common around here.  I don't think students will find it when so many use smaller screens also.

jsmith
Community Explorer

Yes, please move the Help button up so it is easier to find. 

I also agree that it is weird to have the Admin button in the middle of the others.  I would prefer it to be at the top.

BKINNEY
Community Contributor

The problem is that even when you move the button up, it can still get cut off, and scrolling the page doesn't help. We need a reliable way for all users to be able to access ALL the global nav buttons. I'm not sure how to do it, but something needs to be done to keep all options available.

Community Contributor

Agreed. I like the idea of a floating left navigation that is always available, but this is a clear drawback from this method. The current interface's navigation is anchored with the content, so you need to scroll back up to the top of the screen to access it, which is ok.

What about if the navigation was fixed but also included a Back to top button when the navigation is not visible anymore?

BKINNEY
Community Contributor

Another option would be to let the buttons be squashed vertically until they all fit. Most of the time, they would be seen in their full glory, but they could compress as needed, or perhaps transform into lines of hypertext when the space is inadequate. I realize that square buttons work better on a touch device, but anything is better than no access to a button at all.

I'd also like to suggest that you make that beta/test warning div go away when I mouse over it. That thing gets in the way of much more than just the help link. I always end up having to open up my browser console and set the css to display:none. I shouldn't have to do that to get my testing done. It makes me want to test in production, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a test instance.